• Norgur@fedia.io
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

Sad that things like “checking the address, date and if the fucking thing is signed at fucking all” are necessary. The keepers of justice and public order must be held to a higher standard than everybody else. They have to be the beacon that shows the rest of us what justice and order look like. Instead, mistaken loyalty by DAs and courts have eroded this sentiment to a farce. They are allowed to lie to your face, they are allowed to take your shit and accuse your shit itself of crimes. They are allowed to shoot dogs without any indication of the dog being aggressive. They are also allowed to bust into the wrong house, shoot the dog, traumatize everyone, drag people to the street, imprison them with force, and then notice that they had the wrong house. The last one carries a severe penalty for them, I know. They have to say “Whoopsie doopsie” afterward.

• IninewCrow@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

First rule of dealing with the police … never argue with a man with a gun, even if that man lawfully carries a gun and calls themselves a police officer.

• FireTower@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

I’ve personally seen court issued documents set to expire the day they were issued (they were meant to last a year). I’ve seen the issued date field empty. I’ve also seen them issued per the court’s website but unsigned.

Mistakes happen. If looking for a clerical error gets you off the hook that’s a good thing.

• bobslaede@feddit.dk
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

Probably a cool enough guide, if you are American. Most of the guides are purely for America. Too bad.

• Moghul@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

A bot reposting a bot’s repost from reddit. Don’t do what the picture says, have a look at the reddit comments. This might be valid in USA at best, and even then I doubt it.

• then_three_more@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

That being stopped by the police and saying you’d don’t consent to being searched won’t fly in the UK. The police have the right to use force if you refuse to be searched. So say that line and expect yourself to be pinned to the ground and searched anyway.

• RememberTheApollo_@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

In the US you can state your denial of consent to the search when you have that right, but do not offer physical resistance. Point being to state it, but don’t get yourself shot or beaten.

• iAvicenna@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 month ago

Yea a black person trying this in the US seems to have about %80 probability of being detained and %50 probability of getting shot or strangled

• Creddit@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

Why would you answer your front door for police at all?

If they’re saying “we’re breaking down the door” or something, I can imagine answering but, otherwise, I’m not saying a word and I’m hoping they just go away.

• wieson@feddit.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

My conspiracy theory:

The fact that US police is so messed up and guides like this are needed, has given rise to the sovereign citizen movement.

Because you actually have to know the law better than the police (who don’t know it really) to survive. And ain’t nobody gon read that whole thing. So if someone on Facebook tells you “that’s how you react to cops”, people believe it.

• corsicanguppy@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

Quick note: American cops appear to be different from other cops, way more dangerous and unhinged if you believe these posts, so please be more careful if you ever go there.