• yggdar@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

I agree, it looks nice in my opinion. It doesn’t look like the house itself is crooked. It’s just asymmetrical furniture, which I find fun to look at!

• bstix@feddit.dk
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

The board along the kitchen ceiling is only covering the ventilation tube, but all the other cupboards seems to work fine.

All the hinges are placed on a vertical side of the odd shapes, so they ought to function normally.

• cheddar@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 month ago

I’m torn between “this is terrible” and “this is somewhat good”. I’ve seen much worse that’s for sure.

• jerkface@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

I know this post’s title as the title of an old science fiction short story I read as a kid 35 years ago (it was already old! you be quiet) about a guy who builds his house as an unfolded tesseract net of cubes, but then there is an earthquake and the house folds itself along the fourth dimension and it becomes an actual hypercube, with the inhabitants lost and confused inside.

But I wonder now if that story’s title was already a reference to something else? Or do other people know that story?

• Justas🇱🇹@sh.itjust.worksOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

I am referencing that story and it’s Wikipedia page says:

“‘—And He Built a Crooked House—’”[a] is a science fiction short story by American writer Robert A. Heinlein, first published in Astounding Science Fiction in February 1941.[1] It was reprinted in the anthology Fantasia Mathematica (Clifton Fadiman, ed.) in 1958, and in the Heinlein collections The Unpleasant Profession of Jonathan Hoag in 1959 and The Best of Robert Heinlein in 1973. The story is about a mathematically inclined architect named Quintus Teal who has what he thinks is a brilliant idea to save on real estate costs by building a house shaped like the unfolded net of a tesseract. The title is paraphrased from the nursery rhyme “There Was a Crooked Man”.

• jerkface@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Oh, it’s Heinlein, yeah, I guess maybe a few other people have read it…

• pixelmeow@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 month ago

In case you haven’t come back to the post, the story is by Robert Heinlein with the (almost) same title as the post.

link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

It’s a more 90’s aesthetic where materials were available but not the finances to hire someone to do it well, so people did stuff like wallpaper by themselves instead with varying degrees of success.

• Moghul@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

People still do that, though maybe less. Men in the family are electricians, masons, plumbers, all at the same time, and with varying degrees of success.

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          1 month ago

Yes, but you can now afford better tools and materials, online tutorials and tool rentals exist, which can improve your odds a lot with a little preparation.

Edit: I live in an apartment where a construction worker used to live. It’s full of dumb kludges and half jobs, or as slavs would call it, “khaltura”.

• Moghul@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 month ago

No matter how good your tools and materials, a skilled enough amateur can fuck it up. You can’t account for taste either. Furniture shapes aside, those bed covers and the couch are also not something I’d have in my house.

• Ibaudia@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

The color schemes, lack of natural light, terrible wall textures, and dated patterns are what kill this for me. The weird slanted perspective furniture actually elevates it, if anything.

• Mothra@mander.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

The last two pics (master bedroom?) and the kitchen kinda give me anxiety with all the slanted furniture but the rest looks good to me

• Sparky@lemmy.blahaj.zone
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

Is this a situation where they were planning a remodel, discussed their inability to cut straight lines, said fuck it and doubled down?

• Dumbkid@lemmy.dbzer0.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

Looks like the ceilings follow the roof lines instead of being flat so they just made the furniture follow those lines