• nossaquesapao@lemmy.eco.br
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 month ago

I can already see the first person with the implant losing to a teenager gamer in a competition hosted by musk. This reality’s plot has become too boring already. The writer has lost all creativity.

• tal@lemmy.today
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    1 month ago

He’s probably right.

However, I don’t think that that necessarily makes a very compelling practical point.

The Neuralink is not cheap. You’re talking about a surgical implant. And short of getting to automated surgery, I don’t think that we can likely improve on the cost much.

Professional game players are using input devices that – while certainly optimized over the decades – are not designed to be the best-possible input device out there. The keyboard, mouse or gamepad look and work the way they do because they can be mass-produced inexpensively. If you have the kind of budget that’s going to be involved with doing surgical implantation of neural interfaces, my guess is that you can probably get a pretty capable external gizmo.

Like, I’m not saying that there isn’t a use case for something like the Neuralink. But I don’t think that “Neuralink vs game input device for pro gamers” is a very compelling case to pick to highlight to show off the Neuralink.