The article discusses the new highest-level Steam user, who has reportedly spent over half a million dollars to achieve this status. This user possesses a unique collection of items, including a Discord kitten and a $9,000 Counter-Strike gun that features a racial slur. The article also touches on the user’s potential rivalry with the individual currently in third place for the highest Steam level. It highlights the extravagant spending habits within the gaming community and raises questions about the implications of such investments in virtual goods.

• Stern@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    24 days ago

Not the dumbest thing I’ve heard of huge amounts of money getting spent on it.

You hear about that dipshit who spent 44 billion buying one of the most popular social media sites in the world only to not use its name?

• Dark Arc@social.packetloss.gg
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          24 days ago

The bird site was great in the early days when it was a bunch of micro blogs. It was basically freely hosted short form RSS feeds. I could keep track of so many things so easily from all my devices.

When the focus changed to more of a “town square” rather than just “hey I/we did this thing and you should know about it in 255 characters or less!” that’s when it became a mess.

Musk took a useful platform, failed to see it for what it is at its best, and elevated what made it its worst (gossip, rage baiting, berating, false information, and sensitizationalized content lacking nuance or substance). To be clear, that transition predates Musk and was driven more by users than Twitter the company, but Musk accelerated it (this is fundamentally visible in moves like monetizing the API which prevented Twitter ingesting and outputting various feeds for a large number of use cases).

• wise_pancake@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          23 days ago

I miss so much my community I had on Twitter

Now it’s gone. People left for a mix of substack, blue sky, and different mastodon instances. Some people just left entirely.

• Warl0k3@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    24 days ago

For anyone else curious, “Discord kitten” is apparently a (mostly sarcastic) slang term for “suger baby”. I was really hoping for actual kittens, but alas.

• tacosanonymous@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    24 days ago

Sometimes, when I think I’m stupid af, I remember that people like this exist and I feel a little better.

• colderr@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    24 days ago

I will never understand why people would spend so much money to be on top of such a leaderboard. And to spend so much money to have a gun that is offensive in a game.

• catloaf@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        24 days ago

Yup. If I recall, this guy is some Saudi prince with more money than he knows what to do with. So some of it gets spent on stuff like this.

• fckreddit@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    24 days ago

9000 dollars for a gun in CS!? I spent that much for my entire steam library. Sounds utterly disgusting to me.

• BruceTwarzen@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      24 days ago

Isn’t that not even a crazy amount for CS standards? Don’t get me wrong, it’s insane to me how people spend money on this. But i thought the most expensive items are in the 10s or 20 thousands.

• zecg@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    24 days ago

What’s with the “the article does x” retelling, it gives me the biggest ick. What’s wrong with just quoting a salient paragraph or two?

• aeronmelon@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    24 days ago

Do I even want to know what Discord Kitten is?

And to answer most people’s question, this is commonly referred to as being unwell. It the result of an untreated addiction, plain and simple.

• r00ty@kbin.life
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    24 days ago

7 digit steam ID and only level 15. Clearly, my life took a wrong turn somewhere…