Just 1.4% of cases were among people who received two vaccine doses.

• Neuromancer@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      4 months ago

Back in my day our parents had parties for chicken pox. The older you get, the worse it is.

There was no vaccine when I was a child.

• Neuromancer@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          4 months ago

My brother caught it first. He developed keloids from it. I was maybe 6 or 7 at the time. I had to wear mittens on my hands till it healed.

• xmunk@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

Fuck antivaxxers, unless there’s a demonstrated prior allergic reaction these fuckers should pay an extra tax just for being alive.

• tal@lemmy.today
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

I don’t think that avoiding vaccines is a very good idea, but I only really care about it to the extent that it’s a risk to other people.

With COVID-19, there’s a major risk in that a dangerous disease is rapidly spreading and there’s a major concern that hospitals may get overwhelmed, leading to death rates spiking. Not being vaccinated was a serious risk to other people.

In this case, according to the article, only 1.4% of the people involved had been fully-vaccinated. Even if every single case was a result of an infection from someone who wasn’t vaccinated, virtually all of the people who are being hurt are either not vaccinated or only partially-vaccinated. There is no risk of hospitals being overwhelmed.

It’s not zero-impact on other people, but that impact is pretty limited in this case.

In general, my take is that people should be entitled to a warning, but if they still want to do something to themselves that is a really bad idea and the impact is pretty much on them, well…