From Middle TN Raptor Center

Back on July 6th, we took in a young female Barn Owl with what we called the most gruesome injury we’d seen to date: the end of her wing was accidentally severed by a chain saw. The before pictures show a clean cut across the end of her wing and the wound on her side. We did not expect her to survive the ordeal but treated her anyway. We have been reluctant to post about her because many times we considered her future quality of life and thought she would have to be euthanized due to the wing damage. We didn’t even name her because we didn’t think she would be with us long enough.

Today, we are happy to show you her recovery progress. Look at how well that wing has recovered in the after photos! She still has challenges to overcome, but we are hopeful for her continued recovery. We’re so excited to announce that once the weather lightens up, she will finally get to move outside to start building flight strength, do live prey tests, and hopefully push toward one of the most unlikely freedom day releases we’ve ever had.

• anon6789@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      16 hours ago

Ok, you got me stumped today. I vaguely am aware of Tug McGraw, and in looking for what this reference is, all I’ve turned up is he was nicknamed Tugger because he was a very rough breast feeder as a baby, and when asked if he preferred grass or Astro-Turf, his response was “I dont know, I’ve never smoked Astro-Turf.” 😆

• Optional@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        15 hours ago

From “25 Scrappiest Philadelphia Phillies”:

12. Tug McGraw

14 of 25

1. Pitchers aren’t often tabbed as “scrappy” players, but you have to admit that the designation fits former Phillies’ closer Tug McGraw to a tee.

Traded by the New York Mets to the Phillies, McGraw arrived with a chip on his shoulder that would fuel his success. When the Phillies became World Champions in 1980, McGraw hoisted the trophy and famously proclaimed the New York could “stick it.” The Phillies were number one.

He’d come out of the bullpen, slap his thighs with his glove, and sell a kidney on the black market if that’s what it took to get an out. A rough and tumble closer, McGraw was quite the scrappy player.

I remember it from some commercial for - i dunno, anti perspirant or something 😄

• anon6789@lemmy.worldOP
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    22 hours ago

The end of her wing tip was severed cleanly. We did not expect the feather shafts to regrow after such a terrible trauma.