• nevemsenki@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        19 hours ago

I have an S23, it’s definitely not every month. Last update package is currently dated 1st of may.

• 𝕸𝖔𝖘𝖘@infosec.pub
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 days ago

Is it that high? Not even joking. I was always under the impression that it was much lower, and that many of those that are still receiving updates won’t update (old habits from when updating android could brick your device).

• 𝕸𝖔𝖘𝖘@infosec.pub
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 days ago

But if the manufacturers don’t then update their custom bits, the updates don’t make it to the phones. Right? Or is that not a thing anymore?

• nevemsenki@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            2 days ago

That is a difficult topic. Google did take steps to mitigate issues there. Android got Hardware Abstraction Layer to prevent blobs from blocking updates ; also, a lot of updates were moved from AOSP to the Play Service, so Google can more easily roll them out. (And to make AOSP and 3rd party roms less of a threat, eh.)

Edit : that said, most android phones have woefully short support period.

• 𝕸𝖔𝖘𝖘@infosec.pub
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              2 days ago

It is a difficult topic, but one worth discussing I think. Cellphone security used to be an afterthought, at best. Google (and some rom maintainers) have done an amazing job at improving overall security. They have a long way still to go (such as forcing manufacturers to a certain level support), but what they’ve done thus far is commendable.