• Tregetour@lemdro.id
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 days ago

Speaking of doubles, are there any episodes with a bizarro-Picard? As in it’s legitimately Picard but this one’s got a New Jersey accent, a beer gut and he’s impolite and chauvinist and generally negligent in command, flouting the PD, etc. Time-travel Picard was cool but I want a polar opposite version.

• ummthatguy@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 days ago

You are in for a treat! Watch TNG s6e15 “Tapestry” wherein Picard gets a visit from Q to re-live a pivotal decision from his past. I’ll try not to spoil too much, but suffice to say, this is basically the result:

• WarmSoda@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    6 days ago

Instead of a training montage, there’s a beard growing montage. That’s when you know they mean business.

“You thinking what I’m thinking? It’s time…”.
    “To grow the beard.”

• LordCrom@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 days ago

I hated that episode. The teleporter is a death machine, Bones is correct.

What if sleep is also death and we awake a new person with all the memories of the old? We will never know

• ummthatguy@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      6 days ago

No need for Star Trek level technobabble to have an existential crisis: Your cells, organs, and bioelectric connections have been regrown and replaced countless times. Your “memory” as it were is doing the best it can to retain previous input while simultaneously replenishing itself.