• reagansrottencorpse@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    24 days ago

“The international community considers the settlements illegal or illegitimate, and the Palestinians say they are the main barrier to a lasting peace agreement. But with more than 500,000 Israeli settlers living in the West Bank, it will be difficult – some say impossible – to partition the territory as part of a two-state solution.”

So fucking kick them out, they are there illegally by international law. Settler ass holes.

• ThrowawayPermanente@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      24 days ago

They did it in gaza, they could do it again in the west bank. It might cost a few thousand settlers and/or soldiers their lives but it would be worth it if it means lasting peace.

• bartolomeo@suppo.fiOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      23 days ago

more than 500,000 Israeli settlers living in the West Bank

I didn’t know that over 5% of the population lives in illegal settlements.

• hesusingthespiritbomb@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    24 days ago

I feel like it should be noted that the western pressure campaign to get rid of Netanyahu forced him to rely even more on people like Ben Gvir and other Hadreem, which allowed them to extract concessions in regards to expanding the settlements.

Like just from a place of pure competency it was an awful strategy. If Schumer has said something like “Israel has a right to defend itself, but the US refuses to help the IDF so long as they violate court orders and refuse to draft Hadreem” Bibi would have been gone.

I just don’t get the sense that the US State Department has a fundamental understanding of Israeli Politics, or the internal politics of most middle eastern nations. Without that knowledge projecting soft power becomes so much harder.

• sunzu@kbin.run
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        24 days ago

and the west is supporting Israelis getting their living space…

WW2 legacy go turned into a shiti joke…

• macniel@feddit.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      24 days ago

Those illegal settlements have absolutely nothing to do with the right of self defense.

• bartolomeo@suppo.fiOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      23 days ago

THE RIGHT TO DEFEND ITSELF AGAINST INTERNATIONAL LAW!

(I guess those downvoting you haven’t seen you around yet, they didn’t catch the sarcasm lol)

• sunzu@kbin.run
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        23 days ago

TBH it is hard to pick on without context considering we do have this “opinion” thrown around regularly esp early on when the entire ethnic cleansing campaign was hinged on this brain dead take.