• qjkxbmwvz@startrek.website
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    23 days ago

Having survived grad school and then some without a dishwasher, I will never look at loading/unloading the dishwasher as a chore; it is a privilege to do so (and is always followed by a heartfelt Thank You to that most selfless of appliances).

• chunkystyles@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      23 days ago

I grew up poor. My chore was dishes, for a family of 5. I was also diagnosed with ADHD but not properly managed. And often I was punished with “wash every dish in the house”.

All that to say I spent a lot of time in the kitchen either hating washing dishes or procrastinating doing the dishes and hating my life because I couldn’t go do something else.

Then in class one day our teacher asked the class what everyone’s least favorite chore was, and one girl in the class said she hated unloading the dishwasher. The absolute gall.

• Flying Squid@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      23 days ago

I look at it as a chore- to make my daughter do since we need to give her chores. And she doesn’t like to do it, so it’s a chore for her.

• Corkyskog@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        23 days ago

Don’t worry, there is still time. My sister hated loading the dishwasher, always dating girls and whatnot. But then in college she came to appreciate the dishwasher and now she is married with a kid!

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          23 days ago

My daughter may very well get married, but I doubt a kid will be in the picture without artificial insemination or adoption. We shall see what her opinion of dishwashers is by the time she’s out of college.

• Asafum@feddit.nl
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      22 days ago

Hell I still do them by hand… Almost 40 years old and I live in a garage without a clothes dryer or a dishwasher and my fridge/freezer is essentially “babies first refrigerator” size. I can’t even fit a regular tub of ice cream in my freezer lol

• tal@lemmy.today
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    23 days ago

“I can tell you, Mr. Speaker, that many times I have opened the dishwasher, loaded properly, with the right amount of dishwashing liquid or pod put in, that all the dishes aren’t clean,” the orator declared.

Hmm.

Not really the point of the article, but that’s not really using the dishwasher in the intended fashion. Those normally use powder. Normally, liquid detergent is for hand dishwashing and pods don’t do an ideal job because they don’t dissolve and release their detergent until after the rinse cycle, whereas normally dishwashers do have a spot for putting powder used during the rinse cycle.

Technology Connections did a video on this a while back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rBO8neWw04

• finley@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      23 days ago

They make liquid detergent (It’s a gel) for dishwashers. Perhaps that’s what he was talking about.

I’m not defending the guy, I’m just saying that I’ve been using the stuff for a couple of decades. It’s made by Cascade.

• NegativeInf@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        23 days ago

What people forget is their own water hardness. It determines how much detergent you should actually use.

• GissaMittJobb@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        23 days ago

I believe TC made a video calling out the inadequacy of liquid dishwasher detergent, and having made the switch to powder I have to say that I agree. I used to get discoloration building up on coffee mugs with the liquid stuff, this went away right away when switching to powder.

• qantravon@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      23 days ago

After that video, I did try switching from pods to powder, and for my dishwasher it sucked. The powder didn’t fully dissolve, and would end up settling all over everything, requiring me to hand wash or wash them again.

• qantravon@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          23 days ago

I tried varying amounts, no matter how little I put in it always happened. I think it’s probably an issue with our dishwasher, it’s an old, crappy apartment model and probably doesn’t work 100% correctly.

• TempermentalAnomaly@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      23 days ago

He uses liquid detergent in his extensive example and regularly has the bottle feature alongside a box of powder.

The big difference between liquid and powder is powder allows for two different cleaning agents whereas if they both are in a liquid, they react with each other. He doesn’t bring this up in the video, but I think he mentions it in another one.

• kryptonianCodeMonkey@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      23 days ago

Also if you’re having to wash multiple times, there’s a good chance your mistake it’s not running the water until hot at the tap before running the dishwasher. First cycle is a just hot water rinse which actually does a pretty decent percentage of the debris removal. But that step works best with hot water when there is any grease or caked on food. The first cycle just uses a bit of water from the hot water line connected to it, no heater. So if your hot water line is still cold at the tap, it’s cold in the dishwasher too.

• catloaf@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        23 days ago

Dishwashers already have heating coils and temperature sensors. It’s 2024, why don’t they handle that on their own?

• kryptonianCodeMonkey@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          23 days ago

If you run it correctly, with the hot water at the tao, the first cycle is only a few minutes long and the box is insulated, so there is very little heat loss. It drains all that water out after a few minutes so that all that grease and debris isn’t being sprayed all over your dishes that it is trying to wash. There is no reason to add more heat to that cycle, and the heat added would be minimal since the cycle doesn’t last long. The next cycle, the detergent cycle is much longer, so the water will lose heat over the duration of the cycle if not heated. That is what the heating coil is used for, to maintain the heat of the, ideally, already hot water.

Why not use the heating element one the first cycle? Energy efficiency, runtime, and equipment cost/complexity. It is a waste of energy to heat cold water when you should already have a tank full of heated water somewhere in your house with a line connected to the dishwasher. But not only that, heating water takes a considerable amount of time. To heat a gallon of water by 80 degrees Fahrenheit (average cold tap is 60 degrees, vs 140 in water heater) with a typical heating element in a dishwasher, it would take just under 15 minutes of continuous heating to get it to temp, and you would need to do that before you started cleaning if you want it to matter. And every cycle after that will need to heat the water from cold too. With 4 cycles to a normal wash (if I’m not mistaken), that’s an extra hour to every load of dishes. Then on top of that, you need a thermostat that’s currently unnecessary, to let the dishwasher know when it’s reached temp. The temperature sensor that is currently in your dishwasher is dedicated overheat sensor to make sure the system doesn’t get too hot and become a safety hazard. It’s a simple kill switch, too simple to serve both purposes. So you would need both sensors, not just the one, or a more complicated and expensive sensor.

It’s not like they couldn’t just use the heating element on the initial rinse. They could. But there’s no good reason to add extra time, sensors and power usage on an appliance when you already have an appliance that’s already done all of that for you. You just have to clear the line of the unheated water. It will save to time and money.

• GissaMittJobb@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        23 days ago

Pods leave the first cycle without any detergent. Having powder allows you to provide detergent for both cycles - as intended - your dishwasher will work even better.

• Wrench@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      23 days ago

Doubt liquid dishwasher detergent is the problem. He’s probably not pre-rinsing before loading them in.

Had a dumbass roommate that had steak and fries every dinner, and would leave the grease and a massive pool of ketchup on the plate every time, then run the dishwasher days later after everything was dry. All it did was bake it onto the plates and require some heavy scrubbing to get off.

• GissaMittJobb@lemmy.ml
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            23 days ago

I mean, don’t leave half your meal lying around on the plate, for sure. Dispose of your food in the manner most appropriate if you’re not going to eat it, and then allow the dishwasher to deal with whatever is stuck to the plate.

• catloaf@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          23 days ago

I have never found a dishwasher that requires less pre-wash than me just washing the whole dish by hand anyway. Like, if I already have to take it to the sink and start getting food off, I might as well just finish the job right there.

• Wrench@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            23 days ago

It’s a lot more convenient to me to just hit dishes with a nylon brush than to fully wash by hand. I see the dishwasher more as a sterilizer than a cleaner.

• mosiacmango@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      23 days ago

This was an attempt by the GOP to stop improved energy and efficiency for hundreds of millions of appliances in the US, which will directly impact climate change.

This is 100% a real and urgent issue that dems had to address. The GOP acting like idiots doesnt change that.

• prole@lemmy.blahaj.zone
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        21 days ago

Yes, that is a real and important issue. Talking about some congressmen snickering about some dumb shit a Republican said is not.

• marketsnodsbury@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    23 days ago

Reminds me of Trump and his… frustration with low-flow toilets.

“You turn on the faucet and you don’t get any water. They take a shower and water comes dripping out. Just dripping out, very quietly dripping out,” the President continued, lowering his voice as he spoke about the drips. “People are flushing toilets 10 times, 15 times, as opposed to once.”

• Delusional@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        23 days ago

Well yeah he is morbidly obese fat ass. I bet he also leaves shit stains on the toilet seat and doesn’t clean it up like my coworker.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        23 days ago

That’s the joke, but the truth is even stupider. He hasn’t experienced a low-flow toilet in decades.

We have one. The multiple flush thing doesn’t happen. Having a different amount of flush for what you’re in there to do helps.

Same with low-flow shower heads. Yes they did suck 20 years ago. They work just fine now. They’re also helpful if you live somewhere which has low water pressure anyway.

• HelixDab2@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          23 days ago

TBH, I’ve got pretty low water pressure where I live. Low-flow shower heads are bullshit, and I would much, much rather have the bad, old, inefficient, high-flow shower heads, and a decent amount of water pressure. High efficiency toilets, washing machines, dishwashers, etc. are great. But dammit, I just want to shower under a high-pressure firehose, at temperatures that will boil my skin off in ten minutes!

• Treczoks@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      23 days ago

That’s why my old boss always had a pipe wrench in his suitcase: To remove the pressure reduction piece from the shower head.

• lennybird@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    23 days ago

Besides being a privileged bitch this guy is a fucking idiot.

Probably didn’t realize his dishwasher has a filter that needs cleaned, or he has a hard water problem.

• lennybird@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        22 days ago

Most if not all dishwashers have a filter in the bottom basin below the spinner that you twist counter-clockwise and pull out. Some, I believe, have built-in garbage disposals that may make a filter irrelevant.

(and no you’re not a fucking idiot; I merely reserved such strong words for that asshole representative).

• lennybird@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            22 days ago

If that’s within the actual dishwasher, yeah. I’m not talking about the one in your sink. Do you have the brand and model of your dishwasher? I’ll look it up for you if you’d like!

• dogslayeggs@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      23 days ago

He’ll have a staffer watch it, who then reports to him “you shouldn’t be using liquid detergent.” He will then bring a bill to make subsidies for liquid detergent makers to help ease their plight and continue complaining about “low flo” dishwashers.