• HulkSmashBurgers@reddthat.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

The new Recall feature they’re trying to push is creepy as fuck. No thanks.

Glad I moved to linux a few years ago so I don’t have to worry about any of this trash.

• corroded@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 month ago

Microsoft knows that the addition of adds to Windows, Recall, data mining, etc are not suicide. As far as tech news goes, Lemmy really exists in an echo chamber. The vast majority of us at least have some interest in technology. For the majority of the population, though, this isn’t true. The typical person sees a computer as a tool to be used for other things. They’re not reading articles about the latest release of Windows, new CPU technology, the latest GPU, etc. They’re using their computer, and when it’s time for an upgrade, they buy whatever suits their needs.

If I was to ask any of my family, or most of my coworkers, about any of the latest “controversies” surrounding Microsoft, they would have no idea what I was talking about. Microsoft obviously thinks that the added profits gained by monetizing their customers will offset the loss of 1% of their users that switch to Linux. They’re probably right, too.

I like Windows, personally (well, Windows 10 at least). My unofficial rule has always been if it needs a GUI, then it runs Windows, otherwise, it runs Linux as a headless machine. Once Windows 10 is no longer a viable option, my unofficial rule will be “it runs Linux.” Most people will not make this switch.

• gravitas_deficiency@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

But you’re ignoring the entire enterprise side of things. MS Recall + pervasive data mining and ad injections are things that the vast majority of IT departments are going to refuse to sign off on. These technologies meaningfully and fundamentally undermine organizational and system security, up to and including potential inadvertent exposure of cryptographic secrets, which the modern internet is basically built on top of.

Sure, consumers are likely going to acquiesce out of either laziness or ignorance. But IT orgs aren’t going to simply sign off on this - particularly if they’re operating in an industry where InfoSec really matters (basically, any regulated industry like medical, biotech, or aerospace).

• thirteene@lemmy.world
        cake
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        25 days ago

Unfortunately most large organizations are running on enterprise releases that only lay down minimal software. Plus IT depts have heavily maintained images that immediately shuts off anything that sneaks in. Help desk is just going to disable the feature before slapping the company background image and VPN on it and giving it to standard users. They will make a ton of money in the short term and EOL the operating system when it’s no longer profitable and Linux is the default (decades from now). AOL is still out there

• aStonedSanta@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

Will they not have licenses with all of this shit stripped out? Maybe another way to force ITs to pay for proper licensing and stuff too 🧐

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 month ago

Perhaps, but at this point, the only ones who actually know the endgame strategy are product people at MS, and they’re almost certainly bound by NDAs on that topic.

• Hotzilla@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 month ago

There is a huge corporate insensitive that everyone is not realizing here. By screen recording + OCR, there is a possibility to start using this data to replace some labor intensive, but simple tasks of operating a business. If you can create RPA+ML+LLM that can rerun repetitive tasks, you have holy grail on your hands. I think this is one of the big reason why M$ is pushing this.

I assume to be down voted to oblivion, but I do business automation and integration for living, and at the same time I am scared and excited.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 month ago

Lmao do you have any idea how quickly that’s going to go off the rails? They’re going to get into a hallucination feedback loop, which will destroy the integrity of their systems and processes, and they’ll richly deserve it.

At any rate, most highly-effective technical teams have already automated the shit out of all their rote operations without using ML.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 month ago

Then those IT departments should be blackballed from the industry, because the nature of that invasive surveillance is WILDLY insecure.

• Optional@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

That’s partially true. The non-tech-savvy friends and family though need us to fix their Windows machines more or less constantly, and at some point we’re not going to.

For me it was about 10 years ago when I forced everyone on to Mac at gunpoint just because I couldn’t do Windows any.more. And even then it was another 6 years of explaining the differences in macOS and troubleshooting “office”. Now when a friend’s co-worker has a “computer problem” (read: Windows) I just say ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ and I gotta tell ya it’s friggin sweet.

• rottingleaf@lemmy.zip
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        30 days ago

You wouldn’t tell that to your grandma in her late 80s, who, unlike some grandmas, is utterly computer-illiterate, can only click pictures in Windows, doesn’t understand even that TBH, and won’t in that age learn anything new.

Then there’s a question of whether you’ll tell that to a girl with warm smile, long brown hair and luminous eyes if the situation arises.

Then there’s that friend whose ‘computer problem’ prevents him from playing Factorio with you.

Life is more complex.

• lewdian69@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

I feel like the headline and all these comments have WAAAAAYYYYY too much faith in the technical savvy and/or privacy concerns of the average pc user. They are not committing suicide. They know that a very small minority will be upset by recall and AI but the vast majority don’t know enough to care and definitely won’t take the time to learn about why they should care.

• lewdian69@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

Our previous experiences with companies being hacked and leaking personal information on the “dark web” with little consequence to the bottom line anecdotally proves otherwise.

• RinseDrizzle@midwest.social
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

I’m flummoxed for sure. I need a computer to be a bit of a power house, ideally well equipped for music production software and live performance, DJ software, graphic design/animation/illustration, and at least for the desktop gaming. Been in the market for a laptop so I can take at least the music & design production on the go, but damn I hate laptop shopping.

Unsuuuure if Linux is compatible with the graphic/music production software I’m working with, or if there are viable work arounds. Windows 11 looks like a dumpster fire I do not wish to support. I’d really like to avoid Apple as I have my own grievances there too. Windows 10 obviously seems on the way out.

Long story long, feeling a bit lost on how best to proceed. If anyone uses Linux for similar creative endeavors, would love to hear your roses and thorns on the matter. Certainly open to recommendations for a sturdy war horse of a lappy as well.

• AstralPath@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      28 days ago

I’m running REAPER and some outboard gear GUIs on Nobara Linux with no issues so far. VSTs run thanks to yabridge and Lutris/WINE handles the GUI stuff. I bet you’ll be able to migrate without too much trouble.

• Talaraine@fedia.io
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

I’ve seen this over and over in corporate environments.

Suit A has a terrible idea but enough fawning bootlickers to get the process moving.

Worker A, an employee, knows this is a terrible idea but doesn’t say anything because they wanna keep their job.

Contractor B, obv a contractor, is there to make money and hopefully turn their stint into something more, so they speak up. And get canned.

What is it about Suits that they can’t listen to literally anyone but their own echo chambers? Oh yeah, they’re angling to jump into a bigger echo chamber. The 1%.

• CarbonatedPastaSauce@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

I’m Worker A, and I speak up when I get asked to implement something terrible. Sometimes it works, but usually they don’t care. At least I don’t lose my job over it.

I can’t imagine working in a place where you have to be in fear of speaking the truth. I have never suffered negative consequences at any company I’ve worked at for pointing out why a terrible idea is terrible, but I’ve seen plenty of people who are afraid to speak up. It puzzles me.