I’m new to linux and have been using Linux Mint (Cinnamon) for the past few days. I was using Vivaldi on Windows 11 and I loved it so I decided to also use it on Mint.

However the problem now is it “stutters” a lot. videos stutter, even typing (like right now) it just randomly stutters and pauses. Also sometimes it simply won’t open a new tab. So I don’t know if this is common with Vivaldi or what.

I’m open to using a different browser as long as I can port over my passwords and bookmarks from vivaldi. is there a better alternative?

Thanks.

EDIT: so it wasn’t the browser, it’s the nvidia drivers. the 535 driver is causing it to stutter, tried switching to nouveau drivers and while it solves the stuttering it tanks gaming. tried installing the 550 drivers and it bricked my system. recovered and just going to deal with the stuttering of the 535 for now.

• schizo
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 days ago

Agreed. I’d say that, if you have the option, then the libre option is the one you should pick whenever you can. But, realistically, software is a hammer, and you should pick the hammer that does what you want, and ignore the internet hollering that you’re somehow impure if you use even a single piece of proprietary software.