link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 days ago

Gemini protocol

IDK, but I don’t think that the problem is that any particular application protocol is bad so much as it is capitalists going to capitalist, and they’ve shit all over everything in the Quest to Make a Buck.

It’s not like a new protocol, if it becomes as widely adopted, won’t see the same vultures swoop in and strip mine any value they can find there, too.

• bionicjoey@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      2 days ago

A more lightweight protocol limits the attack surface for capitalism. The web sucks because basically anything can be wrapped in http, including ads, tracking cookies, data collection JavaScript, etc.

Gemini protocol only carries markdown

• rainynight65@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        23 hours ago

How would you drive the adoption of such a protocol in an environment that is largely hostile towards attempts at demonetising things?

• schizo
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 days ago

That’s a fair assessment. I’ll admit to having a severe case of doomerism when it comes to tech lately, and the levels of shit tech bros will go to to monetize shit has me skeptical there’s any sort of protocol or technology that could be made bro-resistant for more than a short period of time.

EEE is pretty prevalent and has been a very standard practice with these tech companies for a long time. See: Meta and Threads for a recent example.