• schizo
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    20 days ago

Went to a “dollar store” recently and as it turns out, not a single damn thing in there was actually $1.

$1.50? $2? $5? $10? Absolutely.

So just more corporate greed under the guise of inflation aimed at people who are “financially constrained”.

(Also the rich go great with a nice red wine.)

• Empricorn@feddit.nl
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      20 days ago

Also, those inexpensive (non-food) items are lower quality and will wear out/break faster. Poverty charges interest…

• xmunk@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          20 days ago

Terry Pratchett truly told it how it is. I’m so happy I got to read him in high school when nobody else in the mainstream was writing nuanced takes on gender expression.

• captainlezbian@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            19 days ago

I really am sad I didn’t get that experience. My teenage self would’ve loved discworld. And had I been able to read the shepherds crown when I was 18 (idk if it was out yet then) I think it would’ve broken me in the way I needed

• mosiacmango@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        20 days ago

Even the food items are sold in crazy tiny portions that in general, but not always, are a rip off compared to most other stores.

• cdf12345@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          20 days ago

It’s amazing what you can get away with when you operate a store in a food desert!

• Drusas@fedia.io
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        20 days ago

Oh that includes the food. I once bought “American cheese” from a dollar store that wouldn’t melt. Never bought food from a dollar store again.

• stoly@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      20 days ago

Remember that these used to be called a “5 and dime”. The concept is the same but the pricing changes over time. Eventually we’ll stop thinking of them as a dollar store.