Hey there!

I’m thinking about starting a blog about privacy guides, security, self-hosting, and other shenanigans, just for my own pleasure. I have my own server running Unraid and have been looking at self-hosting Ghost as the blog platform. However, I am wondering how “safe” it is to use one’s own homelab for this. If you have any experience regarding this topic, I would gladly appreciate some tips.

I understand that it’s relatively cheap to get a VPS, and that is always an option, but it is always more fun to self-host on one’s own bare metal! :)

• schizo
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 hours ago

Have some stuff on a VPS, some stuff hosted as static pages at Cloudflare, some stuff hosted at home too.

Depends on if 100% uptime is required, if they’re just serving static content, or if they’re in some way related to another service I’m running (I have a couple of BBSes, and the web pages that host the clients and VMs that host the clients run locally).

Though, at this point, anything I’m NOT hosting at home is kinda a “legacy” deployment, and probably will be brought in-house at some point in the future or converted to static-only and put on Cloudflare if there’s some reason I can’t/don’t want to host it at home.