• 𝚝𝚛𝚔@aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

Anyone who is old enough to remember trying to buy digital copies of games pre-Steam knows how much value Stream brings to the table.

If it’s not on Steam, I don’t even consider it.

• CancerMancer@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 month ago

What about GOG and its DRM-free games? What about Itch.io and its exceptionally low cut and pretty much completely open-door policy? There are other services that are good. Origin, UPlay, Epic, and other stuff sucking does not mean they’re all bad.

• secret300@lemmy.sdf.org
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 month ago

GOG can suck my dick. They spammed my email with newsletters after I would repeatedly turn them off. We do need a DRM free alternative but for that I’ll stick with piracy

• woelkchen@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

As soon as you add a free game, the newsletters are sent again. There is no “subscribe to get the game for free” which AFAIK is mandatory in the EU, they just resubscribe you silently.

• Jourei@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

Some sites just don’t give a damn about the “unsubscribe” link. Some don’t even include it in the first place.

All of the above get reported as spam and gmail will happily send them to trash ever after.

• PanoptiDon@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

If it’s not on Steam, I don’t even consider it.

I’m the same, but I’m dreading the day if steam stops being the savior of gaming.

• zewm@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

That’s a sad take. You are just closing doors on yourself.

I use all the stores available.

As much as I like steam, I’m not putting all my digital eggs in one basket.

The day steam decides to shutdown or remove my account, I lose all those games. No thanks.

Blind faith ain’t for me.

• 45D@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 month ago

I get your point, but a behemoth like Valve is so unlikely to be closing their doors in our lifetimes it’s hardly worth discussing.

The real point here is that after spending thousands or tens of thousands on Steam, our next of kin or beneficiary will not get them once our lifetime ends because Steam doesn’t sell games. They provide a license to access content.

Steam still suffers from the ‘illusion of ownership’ issue, and places that offer DRM free copies of titles are superior in this way. However it’s plain for all to see that not many people care about this point. All the masses want is to play their games.

In that regard, Steam is king.

• Grumpy@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

Your lifetime is nearly 80 years. Companies lasting 80 years is ultra rare in history, large behemoths included. I bet you can already name several behemoth IT companies that’s already come and gone.

I wouldn’t trust even larger behemoths like google and MSFT to last another 80 yrs. It’s just too statistically unlikely.

• 45D@sh.itjust.works
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 month ago

I do agree with you on corporate longevity in general, however I disagree when it comes specifically to Valve.

Unlike most companies that bring in billions in revenue, Valve is part of a comparatively small group of privately held companies. They don’t have shareholders to appease, and they don’t have a stock price to juice forever upward. I feel this factor alone puts them ahead of the herd, so to speak.

More than just being a non combatant in the stock market though, with so few employees compared to anyone else is a surefire way to weather even the longest storm in my opinion.

Microsoft themselves estimated a few years ago Valve’s revenue to be 6.5 billion, which works out to 20 million per employee. Microsoft’s gaming division brought in 16 billion in the same year, which is less than 1 million per employee. Even assuming Microsoft’s profit per employee is a higher fraction of the revenue per employee compared to Valve, there’s no chance its 20x higher.

Microsoft, Google, Apple, Exxon Mobil, whichever, I can absolutely see a future (that maybe I’ll live to) where any of the humongous corporations die from providing worse products or service over time, or being knocked aside from the competition. In my view, primarily for the reasons I’ve written, I don’t believe that will be Valve.

The main counterpoint I’ve been able to think up as I wrote this is whatever might happen when Gabe Newell dies. There’s no doubt contingencies for this, and he’s probably hand picked a few names he believes would carry on with his ideals. Though unless they’ve enacted quite iron clad bylaws or policies to prevent certain operational changes, the next leader of Valve could conceivably destroy the company as we know it. Barring anything serious I will outlive Newell, and so in this way, I can see Valve ceasing to exist in my lifetime.

• woelkchen@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

Wait, so you put some of your digital eggs into baskets where it’s more likely that you’ll lose them? Pretty sure Steam has a better chance of surviving than a homegrown storefront of a third rate publisher.

• Kedly@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

We have piracy for if Steam fails, GoG and Itch’d probably jump at the chance to take some of Steams happy customer base as well if Steam falls from grace post GabeN

• WhiteHairSuperSaiyan@lemmynsfw.com
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

As great a take as that is who will host the online service? Piracy can get you far but not always all the way. We need an open source game hosting option. But even that is not all. We need one that has the visibility of steam and the UI to boot. There a a couple of problems that legitimately need solving before we can just say piracy is the answer.

• ampersandrew@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 month ago

I’ve personally stopped buying games that can’t survive offline. If I need to pirate my collection back in a doomsday scenario, all of those games will still work.

• 𝚝𝚛𝚔@aussie.zone
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 month ago

I have a library with hundreds of games I don’t play anymore. If Stream closed I’d just have hundreds plus a rounding area I can’t play anymore.

I will have already got my enjoyment from the games but the time Steam ever closes down.

• lightnsfw@reddthat.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 month ago

If that happens I’ll just start pirating the games I want again unless there’s a decent competitor. Until then the convenience steam offers is worth the money.

• mindbleach@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

You mean trying to buy digital games in 2003.

Valve didn’t invent the credit card or anything. They just barged their way in, via everyone wanting HL2, and have since taken advantage of how much commerce has moved online.