• yuri@pawb.social
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

I went to Lousiana to visit a friend’s family, and I was fed so many delicious things that I was willing to try anything offered to me. And then someone gave me cow tongue. Now the biggest complaint you’ll hear about tongue is the texture, but I was fully expecting that part. I wasn’t expecting it to be pickled.

I do love pickled meats, and I’ve eaten and enjoyed cow tongue pho! Just something about the flavor/texture combo hit wrong, I was thoroughly offput hahah

• bionicjoey@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    1 month ago

I was traveling in northern France recently with my brother and dad. I speak French pretty well but my culinary vocabulary is a bit lacking so I couldn’t always tell what exactly the menu said. So we’re at this pub in Arras, and my brother has this bad habit of simply pointing to a menu item and not even attempting to pronounce it because his french is non-existent. So he points at something on the menu and the guy is like “le Welsh?” and I have no idea what a Welsh is or what my brother thought he was ordering so I just tell him that he wants whatever he’s pointing at. And what arrives is essentially a large bowl of greasy, melted cheese with a slice of bread at the bottom. It was the only genuinely nasty thing any of us got the entire time we were in France. My brother learned after that to just make an attempt to pronounce the thing on the menu so he wouldn’t get burned again.

On a more positive note, when we were in Bretagne, I tried their regional Mead as well as the “Galette Saucisse” (basically a savoury crepe wrapped around a sausage) and both were amazing. I still have dreams about the Galette. I wish there were Breton crèperies here in Canada.

• bionicjoey@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 month ago

Haha I just had an excellent poutine from a food truck yesterday. Nice big cheese curds and layered with pulled pork 😋 I suppose Canadian cuisine is alright too.

Despite being a British food, the Welsh is apparently pretty popular in Northern France. My brother even picked up a Welsh fridge magnet from the Arras tourism gift shop after his ordeal.

• Servais (il/le)@discuss.tchncs.deOP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 month ago

My brother even picked up a Welsh fridge magnet from the Arras tourism gift shop after his ordeal.

Seems like a nice memory for that experience 😄

• bionicjoey@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 month ago

Yeah, you gotta laugh about it. When you’re on vacation you can’t let stuff get you down. It’s all about trying new things anyway.

• SomeAmateur@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

I would do terrible, terrible things to get a good european bakery in the US. The croissants don’t even come close and it makes me sad

• bionicjoey@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

I’m lucky that some fragment of French baking has permeated into Canada by way of Québec. We have decent Pain-Au-Chocolat (although they call it chocolatine in Québec) and Croissants in a lot of Canadian cafés and bakeries (small ones, not chains). Not as good as in France, but still decent. I remember thinking I was going to have trouble with continental breakfast since I’m used to eating a big breakfast, but the French viennoise breakfast with some fruit and coffee is actually great.

I also really enjoyed the waffles when I visited Belgium.

• Call me Lenny/Leni@lemm.eeM
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

Good: Came to ye olde green mountain state where I now reside, learned it makes the best breakfast food I’ve ever had.

Bad: My old place of residence still treats garbage plates like their equivalent to pasta in Italy or escargot in France.

• Cobrachicken@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

When wide away from the tourist hotspots in Turkey, deep in the backcountry, I was surprised how simple and “dry” the local food was (->Germans eating many things with some kind of sauce). Now, years after these many visits, missing the taste/composition. And also the people, then.

• BonesOfTheMoon@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

Sea Island pea cakes in Charleston SC were divine. Cracker barrel carrots seem like they came out of a ice cream fountain machine.

• LainTrain@lemmy.dbzer0.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    1 month ago

Asian food sucks and is massively overrated. It’s all too sweet rather than salty as main courses should be and there’s way too much rice added to things and if it’s spicy it often has no flavour other than just spicy, Indian food (the yellow sauce stuff) at least usually preserves some flavour there. It also looks really ugly, brown colours especially in Chinese soups

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

Asia is a wide continent, which countries are you talking about? Vietnamese and Thailand are geographically close for instance, but the food is very different.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 month ago

All of them. It looks the same to me idk what’s different. Japanese food is okay on occasion, ramen, sushi and gyoza are all pretty nice, or at least the ones at Itsu are but the rest of it I’ve tried is not my thing.

Eastern European, Greek, Italian, Lebanese and American are my favourite cuisines personally, about as different as can be from Asian food haha.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 month ago

Sounds like you never tried actual Asian food, they are as different from each other as Eastern European to Italian.

Anyway, you do you

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 month ago

Italian and Eastern European isn’t all that different either tbqh, it’s why I like em.

Most food everywhere is just roughly the same, it’s usually some bread with meat in it. Greek pita wraps are just a mediterranean burrito, which is roughly identical to a kebab, make it messier and you got shwarma, and all of those are just funny burgers, which is a way to make a british breakfast portable, gyozas are like pelmeni but big, fried and need soy sauce to go down rather than ketchup, and the marinated olives in taste profile aren’t all that different from pickled fish common in EE.

• odium@programming.dev
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 month ago

Based on their post history, it looks like they’re from the UK. From what I’ve heard, UK has good Indian food, but bad east Asian, SEA, and Latin American food.