TL;DR: to NFTs and eSports

• jballs@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

players are able to claim an “officially licensed, commemorative Paris 2024 NFT Digital Pin.”

Oh sweet an official Olympics digital pin that I can pay real money for and no one else can just view for free whenever they want! Oh wait… Here’s one someone paid $200 for.

https://files.catbox.moe/gqcir5.mp4

• Toes♀@ani.social
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

I remember when NFTs first appeared. I misunderstood their purpose thinking they were a clever way to transfer intellectual property rights for something. Only to later learn that it’s basically poop, completely worthless.

• TheGalacticVoid@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 month ago

I think it’s a cool idea with awful implementations. Rather than turning the idea into a solution for something existing, everyone and their mother decided to create a fake problem instead.

• technocrit@lemmy.dbzer0.com
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            1 month ago

they were a clever way to transfer intellectual property rights for something.

NFTs are a clever way to transfer intellectual property rights for something.

It’s just that the something is worthless… And IP is imaginary.

• SecretSauces@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

I like how it’s a digital picture of a physical pin, so it still has the bits in the back as if anyone can just put it on their lapel or backpack.

• jballs@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

Yeah I can’t help think the design and calling it a pin is all just a trick to scan people who don’t know what an NFT is.