Ol mo the mouth n***as could holler the front" - Lil’ Wayne

• Gestrid@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

I’m curious if this would actually hold up in court as evidence that a person was speeding.

• SSTF@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 month ago

On its own to convict? Probably no. If the technology is hypothetically successful introduced and it pings to police, all they’d need to do is follow a route to the self-snitching vehicle and hit it with some of their own radar or lidar, then pull over the driver.

• Gestrid@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 month ago

The vehicle doesn’t self-snitch. It snitches on other vehicles around it. It apparently uses cameras to do it. It’d only be able to tell cops where the vehicle was when the picture was taken, not where it is.

• SSTF@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

That’s even less functional, and is to my thinking not even close to enough on its own to hand out tickets, as some people think this will be used for.

• Gestrid@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            1 month ago

This was several years ago, so the law in my state may have changed, but I do remember reading that dashcam footage submitted by a civilian can’t be used by police to issue a ticket after the fact. It can be used as evidence for or against someone if the police do get involved, though.

To put it another way, the officer has to witness the traffic offense themselves in order to issue a ticket. But dashcam footage could be used as evidence to prove someone either was or was not speeding after the ticket was already issued.

• NιƙƙιDιɱҽʂ@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 month ago

The Confrontation Clause of the Sixth Amendment to the United States Constitution provides that “in all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right … to be confronted with the witnesses against him.”

You have the constitution to thank! Same reason red light cameras were deemed unconstitutional in most places.

• Gestrid@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            1 month ago

I admittedly only knew it wasn’t self-snitching because I read another comment from someone that had actually read the article.

I did check to confirm before I actually commented myself, though.