They are (apparently in no particular order):

• Barbarella (Roger Vadim, 1968)
  • Piranha 3DD (John Gulager, 2012)
  • Alien vs. Predator: Requiem (The Brothers Strause, 2007)
  • Highlander II: The Quickening (Russell Mulcahy, 1991)
  • Roller Blade (Donald G. Jackson, 1986)
  • 2012 (Roland Emmerich, 2009)
  • Superbabies: Baby Geniuses 2 (Bob Clark, 2004)
  • Mac and Me (Stewart Raffill, 1988)
  • Battlefield Earth (Roger Christian, 2000)
  • After Earth (M Night Shyamalan, 2013)
  • Drunemeton@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

“2012” was the movie that gave my hubs his best line ever (about 20 minutes from the end), “This movie could have stopped about five endings ago…”

• kowcop@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

If I had editing skills, I would remove the bit where they are underwater trying to get the ship door closed… I didn’t mind it except for that bit

• ᴇᴍᴘᴇʀᴏʀ 帝@feddit.ukOPM
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

Some of those are a given (Highlander 2, Battlefield Earth) but others suggest they need to watch more movies.

I’d also include:

• League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (2003)
    • Cosmic Sin (2021) and Anti-Life (2020) - I understand the context but that doesn’t stop them from being shit
    • Alone in the Dark (2005) - screw Uwe Boll
    • Monster (2008)
    • Disaster Movie (2008)
    • Brazilian Star Wars (1978)
    • Doghouse (2008) - punchable
    • Most mockbusters, especially the Atlantic Rim ones
    • reddig33@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Still waiting for whichever studio owns the rights to LGX to make a tv series out of it.

• elfpie@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

I haven’t watched it, and I’m Brazilian, but I’ll defend Brazilian Start Wars anyway. I’ll basically defend [any nationality] Star Wars actually. [any nationality] [any popular franchise] needs to be a genre.

• elfpie@beehaw.org
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

I looked it up after commenting. It’s a Trapalhões movie. I probably watched it as a child. I don’t know how or when you watched it, but I would have to defend it for historical reasons. It’s the first movie with the four comedians that formed the main group together. The special effects are awful for being filmed using videotapes and sending them to the USA for transferring to 35mm (an illegal act at the time). They are clowns, as in circus clowns making cinema, which informs a lot of the comedy.

All that to say, as before, it’s good dreadful, something not everyone even believe exists.

• andrew_bidlaw@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Monster (2008)

I double checked this one. The weird thing is, Cloverfield was released as Monstro in Russia and Ukraine, Project: Monster in Poland, Monstrous in Romania and Bulgaria. I’ve yet to hear why, but I guess it’s eastern european distributors rightfully thought this name would be more telling of what’s presented in the movie.

• TIN@feddit.uk
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

The fourth item on the list, they’re referring to a film that doesn’t actually exist, never has and never will exist.

The Highlander series went straight from 1 to 3 due to a historical accident.

• shalafi@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

Unapologetic Alien fan here. Alien vs. Predator: Requiem is awful. Watched it a couple of times, still can’t remember what it’s about.

• XTL@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 month ago

I was just thinking that I think I’ve probably seen that, but don’t remember anything about it.

• harrys_balzac@lemmy.dbzer0.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

Take the love story from Battleship, then make all the characters the dumbest college age kids you can think of, then sprinkle in a couple of Xenomorphs and Predators doing the world a favor.

• The Dark Lord ☑️@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

2012 is one of my favourite movies. I don’t care what this author thinks, I love that movie. It’s fun, over the top, and enjoyable. I’m not watching it for some science-accurate portrayal of the end of the world. I’m watching it for the entertaining destruction, and this movie hits it.

• OrangeJoe@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Yea it’s not strictly a “good” movie. But yes it’s fun as hell to watch. Definitely up there near the top of my favorites in the disaster movie genre.

• southsamurai@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

Barbarella is freaking awesome and I’ll fight over that.

It is, however, bad sci-fi. Great movie, just not really sci-fi in the important ways.

• Imperor@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

Recently got into watching older SciFu from the 70s/80s and a chatter on stream suggested “Star Crash” which is very hard to find apparently, had to get it off eBay.

It is basically if some kid watched Star Wars and said “What is this? I can do better than this!” And made it again but 100x worse. It’s really awful but in the good kind of way. Even the editing is terrible, there are cuts that make no sense, etc. But it has David Hasslehoff in it!

Haven’t watched the second one yet, but I am delighted to see what they tried to rip off for that one.

• ᴇᴍᴘᴇʀᴏʀ 帝@feddit.ukOPM
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Star Crash is one of the more competent Star Wars rip-offs or cash-ins and is good cheesy fun - Brazilian Star Wars is terrible, Turkish Star Wars us deranged.

• thesmokingman@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

I don’t understand how they can say “overly sexualised voyages into space” and not include Galaxy of Terror. The worm rape scene that didn’t need to be in the movie and Corman forced back in makes it a much better contender for the slot Barbarella is in. On a script, camp, and exploitation level it is worse in every way and it’s even a ripoff of Alien to boot, arguably making it worse than Alien v Predator: Requiem which at least tries to be original.

I own it on laserdisc. The only reason I’ve seen it more than once is because people are surprised Sid Haig and Robert Englund did a movie together. It’s fucking bad and holy shit is the worm rape scene the fucking peak of Corman being a misogynistic, exploitative walnut. To be totally frank it really disgusts me that he still gets a platform (legacy) after forcing this scene into the movie and directing it himself, even if some people think it contributed to the movie’s commercial success.

• thesmokingman@programming.dev
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

According to movie commentary, depends on who you talk to. Wikipedia lists the budget as 1.8mil and a box office of either 4mil or 1.3mil so it’s kinda unclear what the truth is.