I’m finding it really difficult to tell whether a particular air conditioner is supported by Home Assistant, since all the ones I’ve seen in stores don’t seem compatible. I mean, I’m probably wrong in that, I’m sure that with enough work anything will work, but I didn’t see any integrations with Midea air conditioners, for example.

All my windows in my house slide sideways, so most of the in-wall air-conditioners won’t work, and I rent the place, so I can’t make large alterations. This pretty much limits me to portable ACs, which don’t tend to have much smart home functionality.

Any help would be appreciated, as I’m pretty new to using Home Assistant in general, and I’m still trying to figure out how things work. I only bought my Home Assistant Yellow last year, and I don’t yet have any smart appliances to connect it to.

• QualifiedKitten@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

I’m not sure about compatibility with HA (saw this via /all), but I bought the Whynter ARC-14S and a Broadlink IR universal remote + sensor cable so that I could set up some automations and/or control the AC via my phone. I think any AC with an IR remote should work in that setup.

If you’re in an area that gets lots of poor air quality days while you’ll be running it (my area usually gets a few weeks of terrible air in August & September due to wildfires), a dual hose AC is definitely worthwhile.