Curious as to what people think has the most replay potential.

Rules:

1. The “desert island” aspect here is just to create an isolated environment. You don’t have to worry about survival or anything along those lines, where playing the game would be problematic. This isn’t about min-maxing your situation on the island outside of the game, or the time after leaving.

2. No live service games unless the live service aspect is complete and it can be played offline – that is, you can’t just rely on the developer churning out new material during your time on the island. The game you get has to be in its complete form when you go to the island.

3. No multiplayer games – can’t rely on the outside world in the form of people out there being a source of new material. The island is isolated from the rest of the world.

4. You get existing DLC/mods/etc for a game. You don’t get multiple games in a series, though.

5. Cost isn’t a factor. If you want The Sims 4 and all its DLC (currently looks like it’s $1,300 on Steam, and I would guess that there’s probably a lot more stuff on EA’s store or whatever), DCS World and all DLC ($3,900), or something like that, you can have it as readily as a free game.

6. No platform restrictions (within reason; you’re limited to something that would be fairly mainstream). PC, console, phone, etc games are all fine. No “I want a game that can only run on a 10,000 node parallel compute cluster”, though, even if you can find something like that.

7. Accessories that would be reasonably within the mainstream are provided. If you’re playing a light gun game, you can have a light gun. You can have a game controller, a VR headset and controllers, something like that. No “I want a $20 million 4DOF suspended flight sim cockpit to play my flight sim properly”.

8. You have available to you the tools to extend the game that an ordinary member of the public would have access to. If there are modding tools that exist, you have access to those, can spend time learning them. If it’s an open-source game and you want to learn how to modify the game at a source level, you can do that. You don’t have access to a video game studio’s internal-only tools, though.

9. You have available to you existing documentation and material related to the game that is generally publicly-available. Fandom wikis, howtos and guides, etc.

10. You get the game in its present-day form. No updates to the game or new DLC being made available to you while you’re on the island.

What three games do you choose to take with you?

• inlandempire@jlai.lu
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 month ago

I think the goal is probably to not get bored by the only 3 games available, so with that in mind :

• Skyrim would last long enough to provide entertainment within those 5 years, there’s tons of replayability with mods. Witcher 3, RDR2, BG3, are good options as well.

• Then something lighter to come back to, to unwind, like Trackmania (probably United for the multi environment, or 2020 for the latest features), because the editor mode allows for potentially infinite tracks to be made and played offline on top of the official campaign tracks. Kerbal Space Program could fit those criterias too.

• And lastly, probably a rogue like that feels fresh every new run, I’m not a fan of Hades, so I’ll pick Dead Cells, or Balatro, or Pyre, or… there’s so many choices in that category!

• MarcomachtKuchen@feddit.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Those are not only some solid choices but I like and agree with your reasoning. One deep immersive game, one pure fun game and one endless replay ability game.

Personaly I would add a creative game like Planet Coaster or Cities skylines 2 to the list as well but I’m jot sure with game category it should replace

• inlandempire@jlai.lu
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 month ago

Thanks ! Yeah, I’ve seen a lot of people mentioning Factorio, which I have not played yet, but I think it’s an excellent choice as well considering the requirements!

• CrabAndBroom@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

Those and Bannerlord are the games I’ve got the most hours with on Steam so that was my basis lol. I thought about including Bannerlord cause its a bit different but less of a time sink I think. Maybe with mods though!

• bdonvr@thelemmy.club
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

Factorio

Minecraft (how am I the only one to say this so far?)

For the third I’m not sure, but I’m thinking something more mindlessly endless like Tetris (though I’m not a big Tetris fan)

• hades@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

DCSS[1] would alone probably take five years to master.

Dwarf Fortress (although I haven’t really played it myself yet).

And, of course, Factorio, that with existing mods has probably enough content for the rest of my life.

[1] https://crawl.develz.org/

• FluffyPotato@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago
    1. Skyrim with a ton of mods
    2. Stellar is with a ton of mods
    3. Minecraft with a ton of mods

I would pick Baldur’s Gate 3 if I can bring my wife to play with me, then we may actually get to act 3 by the 5th year and not even need another game.

• ssm@lemmy.sdf.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago
    1. Cataclysm Dark Days Ahead
    2. Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup
    3. This is a hard one… Minetest, maybe? Would be the most interesting one to hack.
    • Sethayy@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Arguably Minecraft may be better/subjectively more interesting to hack, considering you’d have access to an insane amount of modding tools and libraries, as well as that the entire game has been so pulled apart that its may even surpass the documentation for mine test (can’t say for sure though cause I’ve never looked at mine test’s source code personally)

• tal@lemmy.todayOP
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 month ago

I didn’t go into this with anything in mind, and while I often comment on my posts, wanted to avoid doing so until other people had taken a shot.

I think I’d probably go with at least one game that can be drastically modded or otherwise extended, because I am pretty sure that no matter the game, with only three games for five years, I’m going to run dry on gameplay prior to the term on the island expiring.

So I think my three would be:

• Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead. On its own, it’s a roguelike with a procedurally-generated world that I have kept coming back to for years, so there’s already a lot of replayability there. It has very complex mechanics compared to most roguelikes, has been extended a lot. There aren’t actually all that many mods, but that’s because most people just add their mods into the core game – the only reason something becomes a mod is if the devs feel that it’d drastically alter the balance or structure of the game (no total remakes), make it too large (e.g. there’s only one small soundpack included with the base game), or if they have some other kind of issue (e.g. the modder hasn’t been following copyright). So the base game has…a lot of stuff. I’ve done work on the code before, have the knowledge to do so, and I feel like that’d be a game that I’d be willing to add features to over five years, has a fair bit of potential there. [email protected], though it’s pretty inactive.

• Skyrim, for the existing mod content. Of people who have responded so far, this was a popular choice. I think that of Bethesda’s games, in 2024, this is probably the game with the most-extensive collection of mods, though maybe down the line Starfield or something else will become bigger. There are very few games that have such an extensive library of mods and can be played in as many ways. I don’t, in 2024, have a lot of the expertise necessary to do most of the interesting modding of it (e.g. texturing, audio, and animation), though I suppose I could pick it up. I regret not having in-game building that Bethesda’s later games support – I feel like having a sandbox-style game really would help longevity of play – but as of 2024, all of Bethesda’s later titles range from being somewhat-more-limited in mods (Fallout 4) to vastly-more-limited (Fallout 76). Skyrim also isn’t the prettiest of the bunch – or, even, my favorite to play not-on-a-desert-island – but I feel like the importance of graphics and audio quality falls off a lot over time if you keep playing a game. The extent of the mods let the game fill multiple genres: the game can be played as an RPG (with modders drastically extending or even remaking that aspect) , a survival game with difficulty that can be ramped way up, a sexy adult game, a territorial conquest game, you name it. I think that the sheer amount of hand-crafted content that modders have put out will probably last for a long, long time. [email protected] and [email protected].

• Minetest. I wanted a sandbox game that has few limits on how far a given run can expand, think that that probably has the most potential to remain interesting. Minecraft has far more mod content created by others, would be better to play, but I can patch the core Minetest game (and have in the past), and I think that for me, that tradeoff would give Minetest the edge. I also think that it’d be possible to, without adding a lot of complexity from a mod standpoint, make something that would be fun to play oneself – I think that most Skyrim mods aren’t really fun to play for their creators, because they’re about experiencing handcrafted content, and if you’ve created it, I think that it’s hard to enjoy yourself. But games with a procedurally-generated or evolving world…you can create the levers and still have fun pulling them.

Some things I considered but didn’t do, or things that other people have suggested and, upon consideration, I don’t think that I would do

• Some sort of conventional (non-video) game that it’s demonstrated that people can spend many years on becoming expert in, like chess or Go, and taking one of the video games that implements it, has an AI to play against. I can believe that it’s possible to become deeply immersed in those games for many years because, well, there’s an established track record of people doing so. They probably aren’t the worst choice, but I don’t, as things stand, really enjoy any of those enough to want to be doing them for that period of time.

• Factorio was a very-popular choice, and someone mentioned Satisfactory. I’ve played it, like it, and I agree that you can spend a lot of time building out on a given run; there aren’t a lot of limits on what you can do. But my thinking is that the core gameplay loop just isn’t that complicated. And I feel like Minecraft-type games have more potential for very large and sophisticated creations.

• Games with a lot of fancy DLC. Of the responses so far, these were not a popular choice, even though I totally removed cost from the equation, which I’d kind of expected might favor them. I suppose that the real story here is that the DLC that any one developer has put out, even if it’s a lot, kind of pales in comparison to what modders have produced…especially in terms of gameplay. Most developers don’t radically expand how a game plays in DLC, but a lot of modders have in their mods.

• A solitaire engine that has the rules of many games implemented, something like PySol; I don’t feel like that breaks the “only one game” rule, as I think that most people consider a solitaire engine to be a single game and probably the majority of solitaire engines out there implement multiple solitaire games. I’ve spent a lot of time playing solitaire games, even if I don’t get wildly excited about them, and particularly like Eight Off, which is a bit like an easier Freecell. But it doesn’t tick a lot of the other boxes that I feel would be important, like being interesting to mod – I don’t really want to create new solitaire games – or being a sandbox game.

• Kerbal Space Program. I thought about this one. That was picked by some other folks here, and I think that it’s a good choice, as it’s got a sandbox aspect, a lot of mods, has a lot of long, hard stuff to accomplish in-game, has successfully held my interest for long periods in the past. Just didn’t edge out the ones that I did pick.

• Terraria or Starbound. A lot of mod content, and they benefit from the sandbox aspect. And I think that they’re good games; I personally favor Starbound, as Terraria is a bit more story-oriented and I think that that aspect would lose value when the game is played a great deal. I also think that there’s more mod content for Starbound out there. But they lack the ability to create much by way of automated environments, the sort of way the Minecraft genre has, and I think that that limits a lot of what one can do to creating large projects that are cosmetically-interesting. That’s okay too, but the ability to create large projects that do things, I think, has more potential.

• City-builders like Cities: Skylines. That was chosen by some people here, and I certainly don’t think that it’s the worst choice. Problem is that I think that a lot of those are about experiencing the content, and that you’re gonna run out of that before all that long, and that the core gameplay doesn’t get wildly extended via mods or DLC. I think that there’s a point where one’s pretty resoundingly beaten the game and that it’s less-amenable to pure-sandbox stuff, like creating fantasy cities, than something like a Minecraft-type game is.

• Dwarf Fortress. A few respondents so far have chosen it. It’s not a bad choice. But Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead ticks a lot of the same boxes and for me, edges it out (even if Dwarf Fortress is mostly about simulating a colony of dwarves with some limited single-character-oriented content that was added and Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead is mostly about single-character-oriented-content that added some limited colony-oriented stuff). And I really want at least one game that I can personally hack on, because that opens up a lot of potential to be interesting, and DF isn’t open-source.

• Oxygen Not Included and Rimworld. I love both these games. Also popular choices, and a lot of gameplay potential. Not the worst choice. The mechanics are simpler than something like Dwarf Fortress, though, which I think would be a drawback if one commits a lot of time to them, and I don’t know how easy it’d be to extend them in interesting ways. From memory, the existing mod libraries mostly don’t radically change the way that the game is played. Like, they’ll add more animals, more factions with different appearance and slightly different stats, something like that. I think that having large mod libraries that make the game playable in significantly-different ways would tend to add more to replayability.

[continued in child]

• tal@lemmy.todayOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 month ago

[continued from parent]

• A pinball game. There are some pinball games that implement many tables, and “all DLC and mods” will buy a lot here. Many people have shown that they can happily come back and keep enjoying a pinball table for many decades – it’s an easy-to-learn, hard-to-master game. And I’ve been able to come back over a long period of time and enjoy pinball games, especially some of my favorite tables, like Medieval Madness or Tales of the Arabian Nights. And some pinball engines, like Visual Pinball, let you create your own pinball boards. But I still feel like the fact that the gameplay mechanics don’t change that much is going to fundamentally limit this one.
      • Mount and Blade: Warband. Suggested by a respondent. I think that this isn’t the worst choice out there – it’s got a lot of replayability, and I’ve spent a lot of time playing it. And there are some extensive mods. I also like the core gameplay loop that the game has. But I don’t feel like the mods change the core gameplay much. Take Prophecy of Pendor, which is a large, popular mod that I’ve played, adds a lot of additional stuff to work on, like building up your own knighthood order. You can spend a lot of hours completing the new tasks that it creates. But it and similar mods really alter the parts of the game outside of the core gameplay loop, and I feel like I’d really burn out on that core gameplay loop.
      • Tetris or similar. These are games that have a good core gameplay loop and which you can come back to and play over and over. In a different contest – one where mods weren’t available, say, and only the base game is – I might rate these higher. But for me, the lack of mod content and DLC and such is a major limitation – I really want to take advantage of stuff that other people have created.
      • Popular action roguelites, like The Binding of Isaac, Hades, Risk of Rain, Vampire Survivors, Cult of the Lamb, or Noita. These are all good games that enjoy the roguelite/roguelike high degree of replayability, and usually have a wide range of goals that would take a long time to complete. They aren’t, I think, bad choices. But my thinking is that learning to play “action” games, teaching your muscle memory, tends to have less-replayability than teaching your high-level thinking, which is where turn-based games tend to focus; for my roguelite/roguelike pick, I went with a turn-based one. Much as I love The Binding of Isaac, and much as I’ve played the game, I’ve gotten to the point where I can basically play the muscle-memory part of the game on autopilot, without paying a lot of attention to what’s going on, and then start to zone out during the game. I’m pretty sure that if it were one of a tiny handful of games that I had for a very long time, that I’d go way, way past that point.

I still haven’t played Baldur’s Gate 3, which was another popular choice, finally got around to installing it this week. I had not considered it as a competitive choice here, though a number of people here chose it. So I’m hoping that it’ll be fun, given all the folks endorsing it here!

• Iceblade@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Ah man this really is tough, your post details a lot of what’s on my mind, but I think ultimately these three win out;

• Minecraft - especially given the fact that we have access to the entire modding sphere, it’s just plain silly how much creativity has been poured into this, and the game is pure nostalgia for me. I could get lost in it for aeons.

• Dwarf fortress - wins out to CDDA because I’m a strategy nerd. What has ended up killing me in the past with this game is how much time it takes, but on a deserted Island? Well, time isn’t an issue.

The last one is perhaps the most difficult, but assuming that I have access to a sufficiently high-end pc, I’d want KoboldAI (United) with all currently available local models downloaded. This is only borderline a “game”, but I am able to modify the software, and the possibilities are simply endless for creativity. It’d definitely ease up the loneliness a fair bit.

• tal@lemmy.todayOP
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 month ago

This is only borderline a “game”,

I think that you can probably count KoboldAI as a game. Well, maybe more the “toy” category than “game” – stuff like SimEarth, Conway’s Game of Life or such might fall into that category. They don’t have any real goals, are pretty much a pure sandbox, but “toys” like that are often-enough described as “games” to count.

The other day, I picked up something on Steam that was basically a spirograph, Zen Trails. That really falls into the “toy” category, but it’s classified as a game on Steam, and I don’t think that that’d be terribly-controversial for someone to call it a game.

I’ll allow “toys”.

Though I’m sure that there’s some kind of line there. Like, thinking of the spirograph immediately brings to mind a class of software packages that are designed to let one play around with L-systems and suchlike, to make pretty pictures, stuff like that. Is Context Free a toy? Maaaybe. But I don’t think I’d call Asymptote or Logo a toy, though both are certainly useful for making spirograph-like images and one can happily play around with them doing that. Somewhere a “toy” crosses the line from a “toy” to a “tool”.