It was frightening, and all too familiar. The family had previously been forced to flee as a wildfire bore down on another mountain town they called home: Paradise.

Now, with their path blocked and a horizon swallowed by flames, Kristy had an eerie feeling they were going to lose all they’d fought to build.

“I kind of knew then, like, we’re never coming home again — again, again,” she said.

The Camp fire, the deadliest in California history, devastated Paradise in 2018, consuming thousands of homes, including the Daneaus’.

They relocated to the town of Cohasset, putting them in the direct path of another wildfire, one that has since become the state’s fifth largest on record. Within just six years, the family again found themselves in jeopardy.

The trio eventually made it to safety, trekking seven hours down an unpaved loggers’ road to Chico. But their home in Cohasset was no match for an inferno’s fury.

“We’re starting completely over, again,” said Michael Daneau, 41. Every property they’ve ever owned has “burned to the ground with no value and nothing to our name.”

• Num10ck@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

or how to build. let’s 3D print some concrete beauties and cover them with a foot of dirt.

• quicklime@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Concrete production is one of the big culprits in climate change. But maybe this could be done with rammed earth, sustainably harvested timber, and dry-stone masonry.

• BertramDitore@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

Damn, they’re not? These seem like such a good solution to so many housing and environmental problems. I’ve wanted to build one for a while, but I’d want it to be in CA…shame.

• Num10ck@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 month ago

yea i think theres a few in palm springs anyway. you would need some exit windows for each bedroom, etc. don’t expect any help from the fire department, as burning tires are toxic etc.