Why is it on Epic and not on Steam?

World of Goo 2 would not exist if Epic had not helped us fund the game! We were able to hire artists and engineers for multiple years to help us build the biggest game we’ve ever made. We’re grateful for this! You’ve likely seen similar arrangements with other games, and I imagine ours is comparable.

If you don’t use Epic, that’s ok. You can always get World of Goo 2 right here on this page, DRM-free, for Win / Mac / Linux. Just scroll up there. And if you have a Nintendo Switch, you can get it on the eShop directly on your device.

But I want to play it on my heavy computer that’s strapped to my face and sprays pixels into my eyeballs.

Someone in Chapter 4 wants to have a conversation with you.

How did you fit so much goo into this game?

Computers have come a long way in the last 16 years!

I used to play the original World of Goo when I was a kid. Will this make me feel like a kid again?

You might be able to visit for a while.

I missed you, World of Goo!

We hope you will love it as much as we’ve loved building and discovering this new world! You can read our first interview about the game here.

• trevor@lemmy.blahaj.zone
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

Buying the game without DRM is great. But the fact that people don’t have the option to buy it in any store they want is annoying, and we can thank Epic for that. Epic is poison and they earned the hate they get.

• PlzGivHugs@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 month ago

The problem isn’t even that we can’t buy in any store we want. Thats normal. The problem is that they’re paying to prevent it from being added to other stores, because they know other stores would out-compete them. Imagine how absurd and anti-consumer it would be if Pizza Pizza could pay a peperoni producer to not sell to other pizza chains, for example.

That said, Epic did effectively fund the game from scratch, which makes this more grey area in terms of overall results, but considering Epic’s history, I can see easily why people are viewing this pessimistically.

• kieron115@startrek.website
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 month ago

I can’t think of any time in history that the public has had that ability for anything. Imagine being upset because a Ford dealership won’t sell you a Toyota, or that Kohl’s won’t sell you some designer brand.