Bottom Line

The only purported evidence for the claim that Khelif is trans comes from an undisclosed test performed by an allegedly corrupt sports governing body that may have shown she has a DSD condition. The IOC has said Khelif meets its requirements for participation, with Adams, the IOC spokesman, specifically clarifying, “This is not a transgender issue.”

Because Khelif is not transgender, claims attempting to make her victory against Carini an issue about transgender rights or “woke” politics are without basis.

• UncleArthur@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

It’s weird. I’m left-wing but am being accused of being right-wing because I believe men should not compete in women’s sports.

Two hundred years ago, a woman was someone’s property. Now, apparently, it’s just a feeling, or something that is defined by a passport rather than chromosomes. Women are losing their rights to men who are taking over every aspect of their sex and it makes me angry.

• Eldritch@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

You’re being down voted because you’re asserting something maliciously as fact that there’s no actual evidence of.

• dexa_scantron@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

No, instead someone’s gender should be determined by randos on the internet who believe lies spread by corrupt Russian boxing officials. As God intended. /s

• NoiseColor@startrek.website
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 month ago

Or you should? Wtf are you taking about.

Relax. Not everything you don’t like is a corrupt Russian trying to hurt your feelings.

• Unruffled [he/him]@lemmy.dbzer0.comOPM
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

That’s the whole point. A person’s gender shouldn’t be up to you to decide, for @[email protected] to decide, or for some corrupt boxing organization located in a country known for it’s anti-lgbtq+ stance to decide.

We can only go by the facts in this case. The only fact that matters here is that Imane Khelif says she is a woman. The IBA has produced no facts to the contrary, only unsubstantiated claims, and they are not a trustworthy source.

Even if she does have some chromosomal difference, and we have no idea if that is true, that is not something that would matter in the Olympics, because it’s not against their rules. So, it’s really a moot point anyway.

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            1 month ago

But I’m not trying to decide it. I never had. I think she should be able to compete. She was competing before, the other competitors were not against it.

What I’m saying is that women sports have this issue because conditions do arise in body development. I’m not saying imame has it (all though all the circumstantial evidence first point to it, but that’s beside the point).

But whenever I mention this and I get attacked. There looks like there is no room for discussion here. It’s either a ban, or people start to rain on with person insults and strawmen. I find it really interesting. Usually in these situations there’s is a lot of room for people to grow. I’m trying to see if anyone will be able to calm down enough first.

• takeda@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

You started a tirade against someone without any evidence available yet.

IBA claimed that she was ineligible due to some unspecified test they did. Perhaps they will disclose tomorrow.

Everything points out that this ban was political to protect a Russian boxer who lost to her. Khelif fought for many years she also lost 9 times to other women, but just that one time when she fought to Russian boxer she got disqualified by organization that itself got disqualified for corruption and ties with Kremlin.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 month ago

Why start with some conspiracy theory? Why are some people so much against talking about this issue. I got banned just bringing it up. Everybody here thinks the best action is to ban all mention of the issue and pretend it doesn’t exist.

• Agrivar@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

Why start with some conspiracy theory?

Like that she’s not a woman? that conspiracy theory?

• acosmichippo@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              edit-2
              1 month ago

Then you surely agree that we should be questioning their integrity in this matter, right?

Also consider there have been no other transgender-related controversies around these olympics except for the two initiated by the IBA.

link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                1 month ago

The tests and results are confidential for a reason.

The whole idea of a conspiracy to affect one boxer in the woman’s category doesn’t make sense.

• acosmichippo@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  edit-2
                  1 month ago

The tests and results are confidential for a reason.

except where IBA is involved… hmm…

The whole idea of a conspiracy to affect one boxer in the woman’s category doesn’t make sense.

TWO boxers. please explain your reasoning, you can’t just assert something like that with nothing to back it up. you’re just being a denialist.

• drkt@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Why can’t you just own up to the fact that you hate this person for no rational reason?

First she was trans and when that didn’t work it was hormones and when that didn’t work it was testosterone and when that didn’t work it was chromosomes and now that this isn’t working I’m genuinely curious what rabbit you’ll pull out of your hat this time.