I have just found £160 in an old wallet that ive not used for 6 months.

Although it’s not really a win, the wife said we can use it to pay for paint and decorate the living room.

Note to self, don’t be so open when finding spare cash!

• Jeena@piefed.jeena.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

Cleaned out the office in preparation to making it our sons room. He is 1.5 years old and needs a real bed and a room soon.

• nocturne@sopuli.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

I am finally playing a ttrpg again. I am running a d&d campaign for 4 students in the high school drama club. They are all new to RPGs and it has been super fun teaching them to play. I went to high school with one of their father and he played in my games back then.

• bionicjoey@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Drama students would be fun to run for. It’s a great way for them to practice all kinds of useful skills. What kind of game are you running for them? What are they playing?

• nocturne@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

DND 5e in a world of my own making. Although after we started i realized i should have used Pathfinder, a system i have wanted to learn myself.

There are 4 of them, one had to drop. Wood elf ranger, war forged monk, changeling rogue, and a kenku bard (whoo always fails his stealth rolls, and has the greatest excuses for the failures).

• bionicjoey@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

Pathfinder 2e is great, but the crunch can be a bit much for some kids’ first foray into RPGs. 5e has more mass appeal for sure. That sounds like a fun group! Are you playing a published adventure or going full homebrew?

• nocturne@sopuli.xyz
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 month ago

I am starting them with the book that contains the lost mines of phandelver. I am modifying it to fit into my world. I have always loved it as a starting adventure. The group just made it to level 2 and they were so excited.

• bionicjoey@lemmy.ca
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 month ago

Nice, LMOP is a good starting adventure for sure. Those first couple levels are always a big deal in 5e since some classes don’t even get all their stuff until they hit level 3. That’s why I usually started new campaigns at level 3 or 4 when I ran 5e. Now since I’m playing PF2e I can get away with starting at first level since all classes get their subclass right away.

• nocturne@sopuli.xyz
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                1 month ago

I did consider starting at level 3, but I wanted them to have the joy of attaining those levels. Were they experienced, I would have started them at level 2 at least.

• bionicjoey@lemmy.ca
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  1 month ago

Yeah. I remember the first time I ran for new players, one of the biggest challenges is that any class which chooses its subclass after level 1 can be really jarring for a player who didn’t realize that the choice was coming. I distinctly recall a player who chose barbarian because it seemed simple and then felt choice paralysis when she hit level 2 and felt like she had to choose from all of the available options. Anyone who’s played a decent amount of 5e knows the system basically forces you to plan at least the first 3 levels before you even start, but that’s not an obvious thing for new players.

• shani66@ani.social
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 month ago

I mean, 5e has a lot of crunch too, and worse it is just missing stuff that should be there that makes it even more difficult to actually play.

• bionicjoey@lemmy.ca
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 month ago

I agree, but it offloads most of the crunchiness and complexity to the GM. Particularly at low level, there’s very little for the players to keep track of.

• shani66@ani.social
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

Honestly, for a bunch of drama students you probably should have used World of Darkness

• nocturne@sopuli.xyz
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 month ago

That was a consideration. They wanted a fantasy game, and I want not sure I wanted to learn Exalted.

• Bo7a@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

I have been practicing making carbonara for a few months and this weekend’s was perfect. They are always great, but this one was out of this world.

• Bo7a@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

I made the first one following this recipe exactly: https://youtu.be/4nAfxzE02Gw

I stopped measuring anything after the first two and kind of just wing it with the amounts. I think adjusting as you make the sauce at the end is the more important bit than following the exact recipe.

But that may be blasphemy :/

• Lvxferre@mander.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

My quiche turned out great! 8/10, it did feel like a little win. The main issue was too much filling making it feel too heavy. I’m going to share the fixed recipe here:

Ricotta and spinach quiche, serves 2 with leftovers
    • a 30cm large disc of puff pastry
    • veg oil
    • 1/4 medium onion, diced
    • 100g fresh spinach, shredded
    • 2 eggs
    • 2 Tbsp milk
    • salt, pepper, nutmeg to taste (seasoning)
    • (30g? eyeballed) Parmesan cheese to taste, grated
    • 120g ricotta, crushed
    • a dozen cherry tomatoes
    1. Shape the pastry inside a cake or pie pan. Make sure that there’s enough pastry to get a nice border. Leave it in the fridge for now.
    2. In another pan, cook the diced onion with a bit of veg oil, until translucent. Add spinach and quickly cook it until wilted; then let it cool enough so the eggs don’t get cooked in the next step.
    3. Whisk together eggs, milk, seasoning; add them to the pan. Then add the crushed ricotta and some (not all) Parmesan cheese. Mix everything well.
    4. Spread the mix over the puffed pastry. Sprinkle the rest of the Parmesan cheese over it, and plop the cherry tomatoes.
    5. Gently fold inwards the border of the puffed pastry, over the filling. It’s optional, I just think that it looks nicer this way.
    6. Bake it in a [important!] pre-heated oven at 180°C, until the filling is set, the top is golden, and the cherry tomatoes are slightly wilted. This should take half a hour or so. Let it rest and serve.
  • RabbitMix@lemmy.blahaj.zone
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

i found a game I liked and it’s free with an optional $10 donation. that’s pretty cool when I barely have any money.

• zabadoh@ani.social
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

Successfully replaced my car’s accessory power socket/cigarette lighter socket. Now my phone can be plugged in and charge while I drive without dragging the cord from a further socket!

• WanderingSoul @feddit.ukOP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

Did it go something like this…

Remember when l said wanted a pet dragon and a moat around my desk? Since that’s not happening anytime soon (and trust me, I waited), I’ve decided to venture into the big wide world in search of both. send postcards. P.S.: This is my fun way of saying I’m resigning. You’ll be missed!

• VelvetStorm@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

Helped make my wife’s depression and anxiety go away for a good chunk of hours on Saturday and Sunday! That’s a big win for me

• Cadeillac@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

We’re almost caught up on wrestling after a house fire derailed our lives a few weeks ago. Still at a motel, but still alive

• Ashtear@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

Got out, jogged, and did some outdoor work even though it’s the worst time of year for it. I’ll happily do my jogs/walks in winter unless it’s dangerously cold out but I have very little tolerance for hot weather.

• Volkditty@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

Jury-rigged a mounting plate for the new wind indicator on my boat on Saturday. Stopped by the marina Monday night for a different project and the wind indicator still hasn’t fallen off yet.

• BonesOfTheMoon@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

I held a tiny 5-day-old baby at church for the whole service on Sunday, and he just slept on me sweetly the whole time. I loved every second of it, he was so sweet.

• WanderingSoul @feddit.ukOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

I held my baby niece (not 5 days old, but 6 months or so) on Saturday. It took me back to when my kids were babies, i dont envy those days, im pretty sure i lost myself, or my identity, definitely my sanity!

• BonesOfTheMoon@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

I couldn’t believe my friend had made it to church, and she has three other young kids, but she’s so chill about parenting and life in general. Her kids are just wonderful.