35 crypto companies got together to make a change dot org petition called “Bitcoin Deserves an Emoji”.

F that

• Flying Squid@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

Maybe if it was controlled, it wouldn’t constantly fluctuate in value and would actually be worth buying things with without hoping for a day when it’s worth more and you’re richer.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

I can go to the supermarket next week and milk will cost about the same in dollars as it did this week because the value does not change that rapidly.

Not true with Bitcoin.

• index@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 month ago

I can go to the supermarket next week and milk will cost about the same in dollars

If you live in america and you are lucky the price of thing stopped increasing perhaps it will cost the same. If you live in any other part of the world that use a different currency the price may be different

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 month ago

I do live in America and why you think milk costs significantly more from one week to the next I don’t know. Even if the price rises, we’re talking pennies per week. Far less than Bitcoin fluctuates.

I have no idea why you’re even trying to argue that the dollar fluctuates as much in value as Bitcoin because that’s just demonstrably false. This is the current fluctuation of Bitcoin value. If the value of a dollar changed by one percent in a day, that would be huge. Seven percent? That would be a disaster.

link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                1 month ago

Cool. You found the one currency the dollar had a lot of fluctuation against in the past week. Good job. Too bad it’s the dollar and the euro whose values are the ones that generally match each other and how it’s usually measured.

Also too bad I gave you lots of weeks and you gave me one.

Go ahead and let me see your source though. Here’s mine:

https://www.investing.com/crypto/bitcoin/historical-data

It’s already significantly changed percentagewise since I posted that screenshot from less than an hour ago. It’s now +1.9%. Even the dollar vs. the yen did not change that much in less than an hour.

This is a ridiculous hill to die on. This is such a known problem with Bitcoin that stablecoins had to be invented.