• RBG@discuss.tchncs.de
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    23 days ago

Guys, its a joke, a meme. Some guy makes these fake notices like the woman who sweats on your couch, maggots appear and you are supposed to eat them to heal yourself.

• jaybone@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        23 days ago

But that’s not a bowl. It’s more like a box. No, it’s ok. I’ll get on the call at 10pm.

• candyman337@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        21 days ago

No, facial recognition works (unfortunately), it’s just not good enough to look at an entire shopping cart and know what’s in it lol

• disguy_ovahea@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        23 days ago

That was for automated checkout. Video people counters have been around for years. I’ve worked for companies that used them to count customers by department.

• whenyellowstonehasitsday@fedia.io
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          23 days ago

this isn’t counting people. this is working out which item or items people pick up from a shelf and decide to keep, if any. that isn’t just similar to the automated checkout problem: it’s the same exact problem. if anything, this iteration of it is more challenging because a blueberry is a fair amount smaller than a tin of beans.

• Feathercrown@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        23 days ago

Some companies do outsource their “AI” to India, but automated checkout tech is actually good enough to be used in production now. A plain white background with separated fruits like this is exactly the environment where it works best.

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          23 days ago

automated checkout tech is actually good enough to be used in production now

not really.

amazon’s just walk out is the leader in this area, and it came out recently that the bulk of transactions, 7 in 10, are offloaded for manual review in india

amazon of course denied the claim, but so in vague corporate speak, and failed to provide figures to counter the 7-in-10. they also did confirm that they’re scaling back just walk out. i don’t think those things would be the case if this technology worked as they were hoping.

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            22 days ago

Just because Amazon, king of scams, is doing an AI scam, that doesn’t mean that the underlying technology is impossible to use with minimal errors (it’s AI, it’s made of statistics, there will always be some errors).

Anyways, “just walk out” works in a different way than the fruit recognition in the OP or the checkout machines I was talking about. Image recognition of a discrete item over a white background (or a checkered background) is like, the literal ideal case for image recognition accuracy. This is as opposed to blurry store cameras looking at an entire aisle from 20 feet away and trying to guess what item the customer is taking off the shelf. It’s an entirely different problem space in every way that matters.

Anyways, even ignoring theoretical arguments, I know it’s production-ready because it’s currently beong used in production. There are dozens of stores in Calofornia right now that use checkout machines with a camera that points down towards a plain background “pad”. You place the item on the pad and it selects the most likely item in the store based on what it sees. I’ve seen a live demo of these machines where you take ~10-15 pictures of an item from different angles/rotations/positions and add it to the list of recognizable items, and the machine was able to diatinguish between that item and others accurately. This was in a very candid and scam-unlikely environment (OpenSauce) and by my evaluation this is easily consistent with other known-good image recognition applications.

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            22 days ago

[Sorry, double posted, my mobile connection is pretty bad rn]

Just because Amazon, king of scams, is doing an AI scam, that doesn’t mean that the underlying technology is impossible to use with minimal errors (it’s AI, it’s made of statistics, there will always be some errors).

Anyways, “just walk out” works in a different way than the fruit recognition in the OP or the checkout machines I was talking about. Image recognition of a discrete item over a white background (or a checkered background) is like, the literal ideal case for image recognition accuracy. This is as opposed to blurry store cameras looking at an entire aisle from 20 feet away and trying to guess what item the customer is taking off the shelf. It’s an entirely different problem space in every way that matters.

Anyways, even ignoring theoretical arguments, I know it’s production-ready because it’s currently beong used in production. There are dozens of stores in Calofornia right now that use checkout machines with a camera that points down towards a plain background “pad”. You place the item on the pad and it selects the most likely item in the store based on what it sees. I’ve seen a live demo of these machines where you take ~10-15 pictures of an item from different angles/rotations/positions and add it to the list of recognizable items, and the machine was able to diatinguish between that item and others accurately. This was in a very candid and scam-unlikely environment (OpenSauce) and by my evaluation this is easily consistent with other known-good image recognition applications.

link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              22 days ago

it’s AI, it’s made of statistics, there will always be some errors

7 in 10 required manual review

This is as opposed to blurry store cameras looking at an entire aisle from 20 feet away and trying to guess what item the customer is taking off the shelf. It’s an entirely different problem space in every way that matters.

which is why that wasn’t the setup of just walk out

every location was quite literally purpose built with the express goal of making the just walk out technology as accurate as it possibly could be

You place the item on the pad and it selects the most likely item in the store based on what it sees

this is a completely different problem

nobody’s placing the berry or berries they decide to eat or not eat in a separate area before placing them in their mouth

link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                22 days ago

this is a completely different problem

Yes, that’s what I’ve been trying to explain. And no, JWO was not built to be accurate, it was built to be convenient. That’s a very different incentive that will lead to skipping alternatives that are less convenient but more accurate-- like the checkout kiosks I’ve been talking about. I’m not defending JWO and it’s obviously both a harder problem and one that’s not managed well, focusing on optics over accuracy.

nobody’s placing the berry or berries they decide to eat or not eat in a separate area before placing them in their mouth

That’s not necessary, they’re already placed in a nearly ideal environment by the person setting up the berry bowl. Notice how the “bowl” is a white square with each fruit placed in a way where they’re separated by the whitespace. You wouldn’t even need to train a model on the whole bowl, you could just do an image region detection --> object recognition pipeline. The hardest part about the berry bowl would by far be determining the person taking the fruit! (In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if that was manually reviewed, with that few instances to look at.)

link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  22 days ago

Yes, that’s what I’ve been trying to explain

jwo is a different problem than the separate checkout kiosk you’re describing

jwo is the same problem as is in the image

JWO was not built to be accurate, it was built to be convenient

it was built to be accurate within the boundary of “no checkout step”

at this point it feels like you’re deliberately misinterpreting me

Notice how the “bowl” is a white square with each fruit placed in a way where they’re separated by the whitespace

unless somebody moves or jostles them while taking some fruit

you’re essentially making the exact same naive assumptions about the operating environment that led to jwo’s failures

if “just track which one disappeared” was a valid solution to the problem, jwo wouldn’t have failed

The hardest part about the berry bowl would by far be determining the person taking the fruit

facial recognition is a thoroughly solved problem, at least in terms of the accuracy that we’re aiming for here

link
                    fedilink
                    English
                    arrow-up
                    ·
                    22 days ago

I’m not deliberately misinterpreting you, but I think I found where the disconnect is:

jwo is a different problem than the separate checkout kiosk you’re describing

jwo is the same problem as is in the image

I don’t think this is the case. The berry box is somewhere between JWO and checkout kiosks, in that the density of items is small, and the background is clear, but there are multiple items at the same time. I’m seeing the items as discrete enough that it’s more similar to checkout kiosks, but you’re seeing it as more similar to JWO (now I understand why you keep bringing JWO up).

it was built to be accurate within the boundary of “no checkout step”

Was it? I mean in some sense yes, but I feel like it was primarily built for Amazon’s image, to give the appearance of it working well. That’s why they’re secretly hiring people and claiming it’s AI, after all. If they weren’t doing it for their image they wouldn’t even need to pretend that it was AI.

unless somebody moves or jostles them while taking some fruit

you’re essentially making the exact same naive assumptions about the operating environment that led to jwo’s failures

I suppose I am, but it appears that the person in the image is also making that same assumption (to the extent that the image is real-- it is satire after all). Having multiple items in the box would decrease the accuracy not only because of items touching, but also because the person could cover the box while jostling all the items’ positions. You’d have to count every item before and after their interaction, and they could take 0, 1, or more items. It’s definitely not as simple as I was thinking, you’re right. Still easier than JWO imo but not as easy as the kiosks.

facial recognition is a thoroughly solved problem, at least in terms of the accuracy that we’re aiming for here

It’s not clear to me whether it’s easy to take fruit from the bowl without showing your face. It’s certainly possible, but it depends on where the people are approaching from whether it’s likely.

• GeneralEmergency@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      23 days ago

If lemmites didn’t have the social skills of a mosquito at a funeral they might be able to pick up on the INCREDIBLY subtle joke here.

• I_Has_A_Hat@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      22 days ago

I worry about the state of the world seeing how many people just take shit like this at face value without taking even a second to think about it.