I have an indoor/outdoor thermometer to keep track of how hot the back of my Expedition gets. I drive pretty regularly with two dogs in the back, and over the summer and winter the temps can get a little extreme.

I need to be able to take it out to keep an eye on it remotely (it has about 1/4 mile range) but also have it not rolling around while I drive.

There was a coin holder there that I popped out, and used as a template for an insert to keep this mounted semi-permanently.

Printed with kinda crappy Amazon Basics PETG. If it holds up well, I’ll reprint it with better quality black PETG so it matches the car better.

• fuckwit_mcbumcrumble@lemmy.dbzer0.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

I’m curious how it holds up as well. I was printing a little deflector for my air vent out of regular PLA, and on an 85 degree day the PLA warped in just a couple of hours. I finally have a design I’m happy with, I just need to print in a better material and all I’ve ever printed in is PLA.

• Rozz@lemmy.sdf.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 hours ago

I’ve made Car seat button pressers and chapstick holders for my car that gets plenty hot and have never had any problems with PLA. They are thicker prints so you might have problems with thinner prints or if you live in a hot climate. I live in a fairly hot in the summer and cold in the winter climate.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

I think I bought a spool of PETG a while back. I know I have two spools of ABS that I haven’t touched yet, but that was very much for a reason. I’ll be near micro center this weekend so I’ll have to dig through my box of filament before then.

• mipadaitu@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

We’ve had a couple 100 degree F days, and the thermometer read 110° a couple times, and the plastic seems to be fine (so far).

It’s mostly out of the sun, since it’s low on the dashboard, so I expect it’ll hold up.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

Mine is sadly right in the window, but I might get tint at some point so that should help.

I see you have a window shade, but do you also have tint? On 100f days my interior gets well over 110 even with my shade up.

• Imgonnatrythis@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

Looks nice. Silver works too as it matches the device. Pretty specific application, but urge you to share it somewhere - someone will find it useful.

• mipadaitu@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Yeah, the clip mount is actually the useful part, cause a few of the Fords since 2018 have the same coin holder, and people can use that as a basis for other options.

Once it’s done I’ll share that part, and maybe the whole thing as two separate files.