• jet@hackertalks.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    19 days ago

gos is open source. If the fairphone people wanted to maintain a fork of GOS for their phones, they could.

• sugar_in_your_tea@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      19 days ago

And they could discuss w/ GrapheneOS devs about upstreaming changes and collaborating on longer-term support. I highly doubt GOS project has the resources and desire to support another phone line.

• jet@hackertalks.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        19 days ago

https://grapheneos.org/faq

Many other devices are supported by GrapheneOS at a source level, and it can be built for them without modifications to the existing GrapheneOS source tree. Device support repositories for the Android Open Source Project can simply be dropped into the source tree, with at most minor modifications within them to support GrapheneOS. In most cases, substantial work beyond that will be needed to bring the support up to the same standards. For most devices, the hardware and firmware will prevent providing a reasonably secure device, regardless of the work put into device support.

if fair phone wanted to, they could, but gos will not volunteer for the work.

• sugar_in_your_tea@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          18 days ago

And that’s completely fair IMO. If FairPhone did do the work and supported US customers as first-class on their platform, I’d probably buy my next phone from them.