I’ve been thinking about getting a couple of Yubikeys for a partner and myself, but we share certain accounts. While I would love to have the Yubikey 5 that can store TOTP, that seems like it could be problematic for shared accounts.

Would using the cheaper Yubico Security Keys to unlock Bitwarden Premium vaults, that use a Shared Organization, be a better/more sane option than trying to sync up TOTP secrets every time a new shared account gets added? Any other critiques or suggestions?

• schizo
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    15 days ago

Can you use passkeys/webauthn/fido2/whatever instead of password+totp for the sites in question?

If so, like, do that: your yubikey supports that shit natively and will completely eliminate your migranes, other than having to make sure the passkey is on each device (which, honestly, is not that complicated.)

• Telorand@reddthat.comOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      15 days ago

Some do have that option. Some do not. I plan to use the passkey option wherever possible, but even in 2024 going on 2025, there’s still far too many websites and services that don’t have passkey options.

The problem is that I need my partner to be able to access certain accounts in the event I’m unavailable, and those accounts don’t always have the ability to register passkeys.