• spamfajitas@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 days ago

I’m not entirely sure you’d want someone smoking around a large supply of oxygen, either.

To be serious, though, I’ve seen some places where they seal the entryway to a dedicated smoking room a bit better and vent the smoke outside. I feel like that would be safer/more practical than smoking booths.

• conciselyverbose@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 days ago

If you actually “lock people in a closed phone booth sized space until the smoke is gone”, you are absolutely taking a significant risk of someone dying. You need airflow to replace oxygen in a space that small.

• otp@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 days ago

Given that it’s a hospital, I doubt that they’d be using anything that’s likely to kill someone.

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            8 days ago

Read what he’s describing. He’s basically saying “fuck smokers, they get what they get”. “Fuck smokers” is fine, but if you’re deliberately trying to trap them in a tiny, contained room that you’re not circulating air through, they will be deprived of oxygen.

• otp@sh.itjust.works
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              8 days ago

You’ll have a hard time convincing me that his plan is to kill anyone who smokes in his hospital.

Not only does it go against the whole point of a hospital, it’s probably very illegal for him to kill anyone that way, and I wouldn’t be surprised if some of his top staff are smokers. Not to mention that there’d have to be multiple people in on it during the installation and usage.

• stoly@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 days ago

You’re talking about people who are willing to smoke inside a hospital around patients even though they are not allowed. Also nothing like a phone booth is airtight.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 days ago

Yes they do. All the time. It’s only condensed sources of oxygen that superheat. That’s not what we’re talking about. We’re talking about a locked room that only holds a couple minutes of breathable air he wants to keep air from flowing through and keep people from breathing.