• workerONE@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    20 hours ago

Why do little cars have to withstand a collision with a huge truck but trucks just get bigger and bigger? The new Hummer is over 9,000lbs (4,090 kg)

• krippix@feddit.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      20 hours ago

wtf in Europe that thing couldn’t be driven with a regular class B drivers license

• snooggums@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 hours ago

Commercial license requirements for full sized trucks over a certain size and weight would be an excellent solution. In addition to the increased effort and cost to get one, commercial licenses are way easier to lose.

• Buddahriffic@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          4 minutes ago

I agree. It’s felt weird each time I’ve rented a moving truck and was able to drive it myself. They are giant and I’m not used to driving something so big plus no visibility out of the rear of the vehicle. And on top of that, they are so massive that mistakes will hurt more and will be harder to notice while they are happening.

Though even normal licenses are too easy IMO. I haven’t been tested or trained on driving in decades. Most people don’t know how 2 way stop signs work, I’ve even had a cop wave me through when it was their right of way. The bar should be higher for getting and keeping a license and lower for losing it. And “but people need cars to get to work and such” addressed with better mass transportation and city planning.

• Jojo, Lady of the West@lemmy.blahaj.zone
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        16 hours ago

I mean they’re getting heavier, but not, like, whole number multiples heavier. An electric might be some 60% heavier than a comparable gas car. But the aforementioned hummer is more than 5 times heavier than even a heavy electric “utility vehicle”. That’s more than 400% heavier.

• SupraMario@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 hours ago

Huh? Are you saying heavy electric utility vehicles are less than 2k lbs? I think you’re math is a bit off, or I’m misunderstanding you. 9k lbs is heavy but it’s only around 2k lbs heavier than it’s gas counter parts (most SUVs are around 6.5-7k lbs). Most electric cars are 1-2k lbs heavier than their gas counterparts already. Batteries are not light.

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            5 hours ago

I’m saying smaller cars are usually lighter than bigger cars, even when the smaller cars are electric. And the car I was comparing to was the Chevrolet bolt “electric utility vehicle” that’s trying to be an electric SUV. Which is 1600 kg.

Where a Ford fiesta that’s almost the same size is still 1100 kg.

Edit: corrected units to kg.

• ililiililiililiilili@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              6 hours ago

Chevy Bolt (electric) is approx. 3,600 lbs. Ford Fiesta (gas) is approx. 2,500 lbs. I think your numbers are kilograms. Sorry to be pedantic, just trying to get correct numbers. But what you’re saying is basically correct. Most small EVs are still lighter than midsize and bigger ICE cars. If you want apples to apples: the 2024 Chevy Equinox EV is 5,000 lbs, whereas the 2024 gas version is approx. 3,400 lbs.

link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                5 hours ago

Oh, shit, you’re right. I was looking at kilograms. Thank you.

But yeah, the point stands that small cars are lighter and safer than big cars, especially for the things they hit.

• HBK@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      18 hours ago

Regardless of truck size, I don’t think tractor trailers are going anywhere. Even if we made trucks smaller those would still be out there

Smaller trucks would still get in accidents though, and I imagine they would be less deadly

• zalgotext@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        13 hours ago

Man, if only we could separate freight from commuter traffic. Like, imagine if all those tractor trailers were on their own separate road, but make it out of, IDK, metal or something so it can withstand the weight better. You could even just have metal right under the wheels, to reduce costs. But what do I know, I’m just some pie in the sky nobody who doesn’t know what he’s talking about

• ShepherdPie@midwest.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          19 minutes ago

Unless you’re going to run train tracks to every business in existence, freight will need to be moved using a semi at some point.

• pemptago@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          3 hours ago

Not to mention it would reduce all the underride crashes.

All these improved vehicle safety standards are generally for bumper-to-bumper collisions, not windshield-to-truck-bed. Frontline released a well-done 2023 episode on it. Highly recommend.

Edit: md link

• MasterMediasRes@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          6 hours ago

That sounds like a neat idea—here’s a wild thought, what would happen if we tried the same thing with passengers? Eh, you’re right, sounds positively un-American.

• ayyy@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        15 hours ago

Tractor trailers are heavily regulated with training, licensing, driving hours and sleep break logging etc. Are they really a significant source of pedestrian collisions?

• Maggoty@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          12 hours ago

You should check out the safety stuff with them and cars. You’ll stay near one on the road again.

• SaltySalamander@fedia.io
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        17 hours ago

Even if we made trucks smaller those would still be out there

If we made them smaller there’d just be more of them on the road. There’d also be higher prices for everything to compensate for the extra expense of having those extra trucks and bodies to pilot them.