• Tamlyn@lemmy.zipM
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    5 days ago

Well, I kind of agree with the article. Some people don’t like the fact that Final Fantasy games are now action games, or some people think that the game mechanics and story got bad in maybe Final Fantasy XII. People think the story of XIII is a bit bad or the game mechanic is stupid, and Final Fantasy XV got a lot of criticism as well. There have been games that have not been as well received, and I think that has done a lot of damage to the brand. I hope that multiplatform will help some people to play it, at least some of the FF XIV players. Because there are few other franchises in the genre like Final Fantasy. I really don’t need good graphics to like a game, but I would like to see at least one dev that spends money to make an expensive game that I can recommend to a lot of people who know the brand and have probably played a few installs. Sure, games like Persona 5 have gotten a lot of popularity, but I’d still say it’s a lot less known than Final Fantasy. When I mention Tales or Trails games, people usually don’t know those franchises at all. Having Final Fantasy as an entry point into the franchise and maybe some more JRPGs is probably a good thing.

I still like most Final Fantasy games. So i’m very curious what Final Fanasy XVII will look like after theses sales. Maybe SE believe more in turn based games again???

• Altima NEO@lemmy.zip
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      5 days ago

I feel like they really need to scale back the budget and focus on a much simpler game, go back to the rpg roots. It’s not like they can’t do that, Japan still keeps making great RPGs. It’s just they get so caught up in big budget cinematic experience style games. I mean Sega pulled a wild card and turned the Yakuza series into an RPG for funzies.

• FiveMacs@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 days ago

https://youtu.be/qrBuTkzDdXA

Literally all I’ve ever wanted them to do with the final fantasy series. I’ve given up on them making a good game since like ff9, tried 14 and 15 but disliked em both. 15 really bothered me with how in final fantasy it was.

I want my sprites.

• phdepressed@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 days ago

I got 90h in to Tales of Berseria and just couldn’t when I realized I wasn’t even like halfway through. Haven’t gone back in a couple years now…

I think the audience for turn based and action don’t overlap 100% so when you take a turn based and make it action you alienate a lot of players.

• Tamlyn@lemmy.zipM
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 days ago

For sure the audience don’t overlap 100%. But Tales of was always a action game wasn’t it?

• phdepressed@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 days ago

Yeah those should be taken as separate statements. Had to bring up my experience with Tales games because it was mentioned.