My laptop has been having problems not charging and the top row of the keyboard stopped working. In my pursuit of a replacement I realized how ridiculously cheap Intel iMacs have become.

And then I realized that you can gut them and convert them into an insanely good computer monitor after the internals die.

I was looking for a dead one but somehow managed to get my hands on a working 5k 2017 iMac for $150. God the display is glorious.

For the time being Im just going to use the existing internals since they’re still functioning.

I installed Fedora on an external drive and everything seems to be functional. I managed to get fractional scaling functioning. However the output only goes up to 4k. And while thats still really nice, the extra resolution does make an obvious difference when sitting ~1 foot away.

Has anyone been able to get 5k working?

• the_wise_wolf@feddit.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 hours ago

Not sure what these internal connections are, but Displayport is both a plug and a protocol. You can use the protocol over thunderbolt and maybe other connections as well.

• helenslunch@feddit.nlOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 hours ago

Not sure what these internal connections are

Literally every connection is internal, outside of the power cable.

• Markaos@lemmy.one
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 hours ago

Yes, but these internal connections can be done in a variety of ways - for example the most common way to connect laptop displays (which I would definitely classify as internal) is using embedded DisplayPort.