• SirEDCaLot@lemmy.today
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 day ago

That and executive ass covering, a way to avoid admitting to shareholders that they wasted their money on useless commercial real estate.

It’s also shooting themselves in the foot. The first people to leave aren’t going to be the clock punchers, it will be the best and brightest who can easily find other jobs.

• chakan2@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        19 hours ago

That’s a feature, not a bug.

The best and brightest will challenge leadership. The shitty barely competent value engineer will say yes until they fuck up so bad they get promoted.

• Spaceballstheusername@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        19 hours ago

Idk about the whole talk of having an excuse to shareholders, I don’t think shareholders look into hey these offices are sitting unused I demand an explanation I think they care how much profit the company making and what are future predictions of profit.

• SirEDCaLot@lemmy.today
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 hours ago

No, but it will bring into question the process by which they were acquired to begin with. Somebody will ask, why did you spend x billion on real estate when it was obvious that remote work was the future? Or if they are locked into a long-term lease, eventually the question will come up why are we spending all this money for office space we aren’t using? Shouldn’t we have thought of this earlier? Not having workers in the office makes it obvious that real estate was a bad investment, and many of these companies are pretty heavily invested in real estate. Easier to screw the workers with what can be explained away as a management strategy than admit a wasted a whole bunch of money buying and building and renovating space you don’t need.

• AAA@feddit.org
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        7 hours ago

The first people to leave aren’t going to be the clock punchers, it will be the best and brightest who can easily find other jobs.

Yes. But some of them are also the most expensive ones, so when they leave costs go down. And we all know “numbers must go up” (=cost must go down).

• SirEDCaLot@lemmy.today
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 hours ago

So you’re left with departments full of clock punchers who don’t have vision or leadership. If you want to kill your Golden Goose, that’s a good way to do it. The remaining departments full of drone followers aren’t going to be making you the exciting groundbreaking products that make you money.

Of course then again I personally see value in employees, maybe business leadership does not or thinks they are all generic replaceable.

• AAA@feddit.org
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            7 hours ago

In my experience: the higher up the management chain, the higher the chance that they are just in for the bonuses - not for the company / industry. And those bonuses are always bound to these numbers which need to go up. When the numbers go down, these people are long gone.