To sum it all up, I was looking to completely migrate from Windows 10 to Linux Mint (version 22, Cinnamon Edition). I followed an installation tutorial on YouTube, flashed the ISO to a bootable flash drive using balenaEtcher and booted Mint in my notebook. Something went wrong during the installation though: I tried to go a few steps back to review my options, and when I tried to proceed again I was met with this error:

ubi-partman failed with exit code 10

It seems it means there was a problem with partitions (I selected the option to wipe Windows and replace it with Mint in the installer), so I quit Mint and tried to boot it again so I could redo the installation. However, when i tried to boot it again I was met with this error:

Failed to open \EFI\BOOT\mmx64.efi - Not Found Failed to load image ??: Not Found Failed to start MokManager: Not Found Something has gone seriously wrong: import_mok_state() failed: Not Found

So essentially, since my Windows 10 system was wiped, I was left without an OS. So I looked up the error and it seems it’s because version 22 of Mint doesn’t have MokManager (don’t know how it booted the first time then, but okay), so downloaded the ISO for a different one (version 21.2, Cinnamon Edition) that does have it and flashed my flash drive with it (on a different laptop, since mine was wiped.) When I tried to boot it to my laptop, I was met with yet another error:

Verifying shim SBAT data failed: Security Policy Violation Something has gone seriously wrong: SBAT self-check failed: Security Policy Violation

Now, it seems this will be solved by disabling Secure Boot in the BIOS. However, I’m a bit aprehensive on disabling Secure Boot, since the laptop I used to flash the OS into my bootable drive is a very, very old and unupdated machine. What are the odds of my flash drive being infected with malware that can compromise the installation if i disable Secure Boot? What should I do in this situation? Can anyone shine me some light? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

• Guenther_Amanita@slrpnk.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    12 hours ago

Afaik, secure boot won’t increase the security as much as you think.

Did you try to reinstall it? From what you’ve written, you have some trouble with booting it. Maybe you selected some wrong partition schemes? The best one would be to select “Wipe whole drive and install”.

Did you disable secure boot, install it, and the enable it again? If yes, don’t. Boot your ISO from the USB with secure boot enabled and install it from there.

Btw, if you worry about security, then also consider also enabling full disk encryption, or at least the encryption of /home/

• vampira@lemmy.eco.brOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      12 hours ago

I did select to wipe the whole drive and install. And I wish I could install it with Secure Boot enabled but it seems thr only solution is to disable it.

• Guenther_Amanita@slrpnk.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        11 hours ago

I totally understand your wish, absolutely valid. From what I know Mint supports secure boot.

There aren’t many things that prevent that, but one might be the Nvidia driver. Were you able to boot into Mint and install it or similar things? Or did you just get greeted by the error message?

Maybe try downloading the image again and reflash it with another tool (e.g. Fedora Media Writer instead of Etcher) on another USB if you have one. It might be totally possible that your .iso did get corrupted in the process. And then do the whole process again.

I believe I had something similar a long time ago when I aborted the download and then resumed it, or when I pulled the USB too quickly without safely ejecting it beforehand.

I don’t use Mint, but secure boot is something that usually works by default on most distros.

• vampira@lemmy.eco.brOP
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 hours ago

Thanks for the answer! From the other answers I got in this thread it seems it’ll be safe to turn off Secure Boot, so I guess I’ll do that and try to boot again.