This is a 12 year dream. I have always run a Windows workstation along side a Debian laptop. I am no stranger to Debian. I have a 12 year association with it. I am not a Linux wizard yet but have been adept with it.

Why not use Debian daily then? My personal computing usage unfortunately centered around consumption rather than creation. I watched videos, listened to podcasts, read technical articles, and browsed social media. On top of this, inertia and great software like Visual Studio, Notepad++, Excel, OneDrive held me back.

Visual Studio is an absolute must-have for all .NET developers. I built small pieces of complex web projects only occasionally. VS Code on Linux is decent for .NET development but it is not the same. Though Jetbrains Rider existed along-side, it is unthinkable to drop Visual Studio. At least for dark matter developers.

Notepad++ is a fabulous software program that had no complete alternatives on Linux. I used it for scripting, text manipulation, note taking, dumping and editing thoughts. Scintilla-based equivalents Geany, SciTE exist, but do not come close.

MS-Office Excel is another remarkable software program with no real alternatives in other ecosystems. It is worth the 5K INR per year. Organizing data, life planning, and creating simple reports are a few of its greatest capabilities. Also, the formulas system is amazing. OneDrive is another great and a utilitarian software program from the Microsoft stable.

So, why now? I had the most fun and growth when I built things. I love the independence that comes with the experience of building things. As far as I can remember, I was always a tinkerer, thinker, builder, doer and explorer. After a decade or so of inaction, I needed a change. A few things fell into place recently.

• Windows is about to get a whole lot more annoying. An increase in ads, baked-in Copilot, and a suffocating push to outlook user-linked usage.
  • Jetbrains Rider became formidable now for CLI and web app development.
  • I learnt enough of apt-pinning, backports and makedeb repository.
  • The last straw is from an unexpected experience. I set up a Win 11 VM recently using the KVM+QEMU route. I noticed that the VM’s performance was quite responsive. KVM+QEMU despite all the pain felt worthy. I cannot recommend it enough.

Immediately I decided to remove Windows, install Debian with a Windows VM inside. I will write about various experiments and experiences over the next year. These are some of the sub-projects on my mind in no particular order.

• Write about this setup
  • Implement a nice 3-2-1 backup strategy
  • Write about significant alternatives
  • Write about significant issues
  • Linking to phone
  • Configure monitoring, notifications and alerts
  • Configure auto dark mode
  • Find a way to play an old strategy game on Linux
  • Blastboom Strice@mander.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    8 hours ago

Heyy, I’m too in the process of moving from windows (10) to debian :) (though I’m very new to linux, but not new to open source software)

I was surprised that notepad++ didnt have native support for linux and while I tried many stuff, indeed I couldnt find a real replacement. I have kinda concluded that I will either use bottles with wine to run notepad++ (takes around half a minute to open) or use Geany and try to customize it as much as I can. (There are also Notepadqq which is kinda dead and NotepadNext which is still in very early stage.) I’ll probably go with Geany and chech on NotepadNext if it evers becomes good enough.

I had a recent post about running windows stuff on linux and people gave me some good advice here: https://mander.xyz/post/18701186

Edit: I just found Textadept, might check it later (found it from a comment under this video).

• DebianGuy@lemmy.mlOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 hours ago

I have tried notepadqq, it is a bit promising, but I don’t think it can use the npp plugins yet. Thanks for the link, I will check it out.

I know of TextAdept and loved it when I used it years back. Loved the extensibility part. Unfortunately could not stick to it mostly due to plugins IIRC.