• Uriel238 [all pronouns]@lemmy.blahaj.zone
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    21 hours ago

Yeah. My parents, teachers, ministers, police officers, etc were glad to blame Dungeons and Dragons for my major depression and suicidality in the 1980s, because none of them wanted to look at systemic social problems that are even worse today.

So if those kids are genuinely suicidal, that means the home is not a place where they feel safe. That implies parental dysfunction.

Remember we also were quick to blame vaccines for ASD because it was too hard on parents to suggest childhood upbringing factors.

• SkyeStarfall@lemmy.blahaj.zone
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      4 hours ago

I can tell you for a fact that if I were to unalive myself today my parents would blame it on social media, the school system being woke, queer people “confusing” me, vaccines, or whatever else

But they’d never look at themselves and think that maybe how they treated me as a child led to consequences that still heavily affect me today. Where their “parenting” led to mental health issues that I struggle with even still decently into my 20s

(And in case you’re worried, no I won’t kill myself, don’t worry)

• Uriel238 [all pronouns]@lemmy.blahaj.zone
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        17 minutes ago

I’m in my fifties, still dealing with major depression and suicidality on a daily basis. I get it. I, too, am not a danger to myself or others, although I’ve sometimes held on only by a thread.