I just finished Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power season 2, saw an earlier thread discussing earlier episodes, figured it’s worth discussing now that it’s all out.

Obviously spoilers for season 2.

(I’ll dump my thoughts in a comment below.)

• discoplasm@piefed.social
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 day ago

Sauron ate, it was a great final scene with Celebrimbor. i did not particularly dig the actor for Celebrimbor at first but towards the end of the season i could see it better. Gil-Galad grew on me by the end of this season too, he got slightly more to do other than just look grumpy & beefy. Arondir seemed to get almost nothing to do until the last minute? i quite liked him in s1 but it felt like they didn’t know what to do with his character after that so he just sorta ran around being awkward.

i am hoping never to see the Harfoots again after this, i tried to like them but i find them so painfully twee & boring, i would rather focus on the Dwarves than spend any more time on Harfoot meanderings. the Dwarves can be a bit twee too but at least they have more edge to them and some politics in there too so they are much more interesting to me, and i enjoy the relationship between Durin & Disa a lot, they are the heart of the show for me.

mainly i feel so sad not to have Adar anymore, he was my favourite by a long way. also i feel like his was the only actor in the show to have any chemistry with Morfydd Clark. so i really would have liked more Adar time across the season.

overall i dont exactly regret staying on board the RoP train because i did find some things to enjoy, but it is still so patchy in its quality. it also felt like the season was maybe 1-2 episodes too short (or, that they could have spared us from the Harfoots and spent more time fleshing out the other stories 😇).

yet i still find it hard to get excited about a third season, especially being Adarless, i feel like there aren’t any characters left besides Durin & Disa that i feel any emotional attachment to. i suppose i will still watch it but i will be keeping my expectations low in the hopes of being pleasantly surprised as that worked ok for me this season, heh.

edit: i forgot to add, imo the rings themselves look heinous, like the type of jewelry you get for $15 at the local witchy/hippie shop. i know they probably wanted designs that significantly differed from the movies, but the chunkiness makes them look really cheap :( i would never get trapped by those rings of power simply because i would not wear a ring that fugly.

• MimicJar@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      23 hours ago

Adar was definitely among my favorites. On the one hand, getting rid of him is terrible for future seasons, on the other his story was tragic and worked well.

Also I have no opinion of Gil-Galad, but I guess of the characters I don’t dislike him, so I guess he’s a winner.