• Madrigal@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    16 hours ago

Fair point, but I suspect even people with disabilities hate the general enshittification of games.

• mox@lemmy.sdf.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      10 hours ago

This is not enshittification.

Enshittification refers to a process with specific phases that ensure services will degrade at the expense of users, and then service providers, so that shareholders can extract as much profit as possible from both of those groups. It was coined by Cory Doctorow, who explains it here:

Here is how platforms die: First, they are good to their users; then they abuse their users to make things better for their business customers; finally, they abuse those business customers to claw back all the value for themselves. Then, they die.

I call this enshittification, and it is a seemingly inevitable consequence arising from the combination of the ease of changing how a platform allocates value, combined with the nature of a “two-sided market,” where a platform sits between buyers and sellers, hold each hostage to the other, raking off an ever-larger share of the value that passes between them.

• SSTF@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      16 hours ago

Hold up, “enshitification” is just turning into a buzzword now.

Enshitification has from the beginning described a service or product which is first released one way, and then over time is made worse for the users in ways designed to squeeze more profit out of them.

Without some serious mental gymnastics, forced stealth sections tend to just be bad design choices. Not every bad thing is the same kind of bad thing.

• Mossy Feathers (They/Them)@pawb.social
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        13 hours ago

Without some serious mental gymnastics, forced stealth sections tend to just be bad design choices. Not every bad thing is the same kind of bad thing.

While I disagree with your comment on the definition of “enshittification”, I agree that forced stealth sections are just bad design. I remember those have been a thing for a long time now, and before then it was ice levels.

Copying from a later reply: I was reading their definition as being too specific. Imo enshittification is any time the relative average quality of a class of products or services decreases, either due to increased prices or decreased quality at the same price. This can be applied to a specific product or service, but can also describe a decline in quality across an industry.

• SSTF@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          15 hours ago

Wikipedia isn’t the end all, but in this case I think it provides a working definition.

Enshittification (alternately, crapification and platform decay) is a pattern in which online products and services decline in quality. Initially, vendors create high-quality offerings to attract users, then they degrade those offerings to better serve business customers, and finally degrade their services to users and business customers to maximize profits for shareholders.

• Mossy Feathers (They/Them)@pawb.social
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            15 hours ago

I was reading your definition as being too specific. Imo enshittification is any time the relative average quality of a class of products or services decreases, either due to increased prices or decreased quality at the same price. This can be applied to a specific product or service, but can also describe a decline in quality across an industry.

• Ashtear@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              edit-2
              13 hours ago

The term is more specific than that, referring to runaway capitalism being the cause. Otherwise you’d just use something simpler like “worsening.”

The original context comes from a 2022 blog post.