The Boeing-made Intelsat 33e satellite broke apart in orbit over the weekend. But company representatives don’t yet know why.

• NaibofTabr@infosec.pub
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    14 hours ago

I really hope it just broke apart… because the alternative is that somebody has an anti-satellite weapon that is fairly discreet (not as obvious as a missile fired from the ground) and that they’re willing to actively use.

• catloaf@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 hours ago

Or just plain structural failure due to a design or manufacturing defect.

• Comment105@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        10 hours ago

I remember watching a Tech Ingredients video where I think they did the math on space lasers, I think the conclusion was that it would be technically possible to significantly impact local earth surface temperature with one. (Might’ve been a degree or two extra for 10km² or something like that, with a huge satellite, maybe around the size of Hubble, or bigger.)

Of course, there’s no reason to believe some politicians’ insane ramblings about “Jewish Space Lasers”.

Edit, found the video: https://youtu.be/-MVs37rxJL0?si=4Ztwq-FyOiB0uZqI

If the topic seems insane, the caveat at 31:50 should probably correct the tone. This man doesn’t actually believe space lasers were used to start a big grass fire.

Also, I remembered all the numbers very wrong.