fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    26 days ago

I’m enjoying Linux Mint so far

I’m thinking I may hope around to a distro using a newer kernel but meh

Mint is pretty nice

Edit: My “meh” is because Mint has been super stable for me and I’m not really sure that the effort to switch distros is worth it given that my systems are already rock solid.

• zib@kbin.melroy.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    22 days ago

On my desktops and laptops, I’ve been slowly migrating from Mint to EndeavourOS. Mint will always have a special place in my heart and I don’t think I’ll ever abandon it completely, but I’ve been falling in love with Endeavour lately. The Arch ecosystem had a bit of a learning curve, but once it clicked, it felt great. And then for servers, I’ve finally switched away from Ubuntu over to Debian. The familiar environment without all the bloat feels perfect to me.

• SpaceCowboy@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    25 days ago

Debian is like my wife, I’m always faithful to her!

Ok, can you keep a secret? I have cheated on her a few times. I tried redhat before I met Debian, but didn’t get very far because of circular dependencies (it was the 90s and package management was new). I never used another Linux and wanted to experiment a little!

I compiled Linux From Scratch, but it was too high maintenance. I tried Gentoo, but it’s not something I’d put on a friend’s computer, ya know what I mean? And yeah, I admit it, I had a fling with Debian’s little sister, Ubuntu. But it was basically like Debian, but a little more sexy but also a little more flakey.

But in the end, I always go back to Debian. Solid, dependable, and low maintenance. Just upgraded to bookworm this weekend (because I’m always behind on dist upgrades LOL). Updated the apt sources ran recommended the apt commands with no issues. Only noticeable difference is the grub and login screens are a different shade of blue.

• JAWNEHBOY@reddthat.com
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    12 days ago

Tried out Mint, Debian w/ KDE, switched to Debian w/ gnome, now settled into Cachy OS. Only thing I’m wanting for is support for my Dell Canvas touch and totem, but I expect that’ll get pushed to Open Tablet Drivers before long

• dallen@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    25 days ago

I run Debian with gnome, headless and raspi and love it.

Used Ubuntu for years, also had a good time and still respect the project even though it deviated from my needs.

Sometimes I’ll boot up something new just to poke around but I’m happy sticking with Debian for the time being.

• wer2@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    26 days ago

I have Void running on my desktop, server, laptop, and media center. Then my NAS and router are running versions of FreeBSD (TrueNAS, Opnsense). Not really looking to change, so pretty happy overall.

• Cwilliams@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    25 days ago

I run Kinoite on my Laptop and Silverblue on my desktop. After years of “I use arch, BTW”, I decided I needed something that Just Works; and let me tell you, Fedora has not failed to impress.

• void_main@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    24 days ago

Using Mint on my laptop for 3 years. I don’t really like it. I want to switch on OpenBSD to taste pain and suffering (But Devuan is my plan B. I love Devuan :3)

• Xylight (Photon Dev)@lemdro.id
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    24 days ago

Currently on Fedora. Pretty stable, but I really hate some parts:

• RocM just straight up doesn’t work for some reason? this is really annoying for AI and Blender
    • No h264/265 decode support in mesa by default 😬
    • redhat is now owned by IBM
    • dnf is very very slow (I don’t mind this as much since I use the GUI software center and flatpak)

Otherwise

• codebam@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    26 days ago

I’ve been using NixOS for the past few months and it’s been great. Before NixOS I was using Fedora Silverblue so immutable distros aren’t a new thing to me. I like that NixOS has a configuration I can keep backed up. I can copy different options from my desktop to laptop easily. I’m still learning about flakes and the nix language to be able to do more advanced things, but overall NixOS is a great distro if you want something you can configure once and be done.

• ebits21@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    26 days ago

Bluefin, very happy. Nice toys on top of an atomic Silverblue base. Love the concept.

• qweertz@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    19 days ago

I regret ever having switched to the amateur distro that is Nobara bc I was too lazy to set up Feodra a 2nd time after the Grub fiasco Arch (and thus my daily driver back then EndeavourOS) had lol

Will switch the second OpenSuSe Slowroll becomes stable

• DeadMartyr@lemmy.zip
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      25 days ago

I just switched to Nobara actually for my steamdeck and I was liking it a lot more than SteamOS but I was having some issues. (Ethernet just doesn’t show up, indexing with baloo doesn’t start)

Can you elaborate on why exactly it’s amateur?

• qweertz@programming.dev
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        19 days ago

It has no large community nor an organization behind it.
        Leading to a lot of trouble for me personally, it’s the 2nd month now (after multiple updates) that my Gnome wayland desktop hasn’t been working properly at all (like xwayland programmes displaying as a blank transparency, me not being able to start certain ones) and switching to X11 works but it’s buggy af and sometimes freezes for a few second

I suspect that it has been a problem with the nvidia driver after having updated it and I have never had those problems before

Don’t get me wrong Glorious Eggroll is doing good work but qa (due to size) leaves smth do be desired