link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    3 days ago

This is the best summary I could come up with:

Ever seen one of those “warranty void if removed” stickers covering the screw holes on a gadget?

Gigabyte includes: “If the manufacturing sticker inside the product was removed or damaged, it would no longer be covered by the warranty.”

“The Warranty Act prohibits warrantors of consumer products costing more than five dollars from conditioning their written warranties on a consumer’s use of any article or service, such as repair service, which is identified by brand, trade, or corporate name, unless (1) the warranty states the article or service will be provided to the consumer for free, or (2) the warrantor has been granted a waiver by the Commission,” the FTC writes.

“FTC investigators have copied and preserved the online pages in question, and we plan to review your company’s written warranty and promotional materials after 30 days,” the agency is telling each firm.

In 2018, the FTC put Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft on notice for doing the same thing with their game consoles, as well as Asus, HTC, and Hyundai.

iFixit has a blog on how “warranty void if removed” stickers may be legal in other parts of the world.

The original article contains 406 words, the summary contains 190 words. Saved 53%. I’m a bot and I’m open source!