“I’m the nominee of the Democratic Party. No one’s pushing me out. I’m not leaving," he said in a call to the broader campaign

• aodhsishaj@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    3 days ago

Changing candidates now is a terrible Idea. Who is proposed to replace him? None of these articles posit a different candidate, just not Biden. Ridiculous

• CaptDust@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      3 days ago

Harris, Newsom, Whitmer, Pritzker, and Shapiro are the most common potential replacements I’ve seen floated.

• mecfs@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        3 days ago

Realistically it would be harris or newsom, and they are both as unpopular as biden. Obviously they are mentally sharper but have other baggage.

• Snot Flickerman@lemmy.blahaj.zone
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        3 days ago

And considering the DNC locked Sanders out of winning primaries twice in a row, how are all the disenfranchised Democrat voters supposed to feel about…

The party choosing to ignore Biden’s advanced age and not letting the cat out of the bag until well after we could have run some primaries and let the voters decide.

We’re left with two options with a month and a half to the convention. Let the party apparatchiks choose the candidate, or let the delegates choose the candidate, both of which are inherently anti-democratic choices.

The DNC made these choices on purpose and are leaving voters without an actual choice on purpose. It is literally the party’s choices that have lead us to this moment, but somehow the party making another bad choice will fix things? I seriously doubt that.

Who, when chosen by the DNC for us, (not BY us) do you think will actually excite voters?

• JasonDJ@lemmy.zip
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 days ago

I don’t understand why we feel so entitled to primaries. We don’t get to choose who runs in the primaries. It’s really more like an opinion poll and the party decides whether or not to listen to the opinion. AlwaysHasBeen.jpg.

• hddsx@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        3 days ago

As a conservative independent I don’t want someone who’s in politics to politic. I’d rather have people who have strong beliefs, even if I disagree. Give me AOC or Warren.

• Soup@lemmy.cafe
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        3 days ago

And which of them are have stated that they intend to run for president? Either go with what we have or don’t go. Those are your options.

• Tinidril@midwest.social
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      3 days ago

Michele Obama is the only one consistently beating Trump in polls. Not that I want Obama v2, but that’s where it stands currently.

Done properly, a replacement would get a big bump with the nomination, but that’s not much to count on.

Jon Stewart would probably wipe the floor with Trump if anyone can figure out how to draft him.

• Pronell@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        3 days ago

Jon Stewart would rather make jokes over a still image of Biden than step the fuck up.

• Fah_Q@lemmynsfw.com
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          3 days ago

Yeah he really let the first responders in NYC down /s Fuck you just in case you didn’t get it.

• Tinidril@midwest.social
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          3 days ago

To be fair, in normal times I would want him doing just that. He has no experience in government or campaigning. But right now, beating Trump is all that matters.

• nondescripthandle@lemmy.dbzer0.com
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          2 days ago

And thats the reson people like him. He tells the truth about everyone instead of pretending the threat of a facist is a good reason to sweep all issues with your candidate under the rug and lie.

Considering how slow walking biden to the convention has been going lately it seems he was right.

• Pronell@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            2 days ago

My point is that he isn’t interested in being a leader. He would rather make the easy jokes, and I’ve lost a ton of respect for him.

• Thorny_Insight@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      2 days ago

The people voting for democrats are going to vote for whoever is on the ballot. Same applies for the die-hard republicans. It’s the independents who decide the vote and many of them are now considering Trump. I’d argue that to whoever Trump isn’t the obvious first choice pretty much anyone else but Biden would be a more compelling candidate. They know what they’re going to get with both Trump and Biden. How much worse could they realistically be if we just pick a random dude from the street and nominate them instead?