In a post-scarcity solarpunk future, I could imagine some reasonable uses, but that’s not the world we’re living in yet.

AI art has already poisoned the creative environment. I commissioned an artist for my latest solarpunk novel, and they used AI without telling me. I had to scrap that illustration. Then the next person I tried to hire claimed they could do the work without AI but in fact they could not.

All that is to say, fuck generative AI and fuck capitalism!

• Incblob@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 days ago

Gains for who? If Ai does all the art and books and all the artists are broke, the only ones left are the corporations making money, and the ones selling AI/hardware. The rest are left with generic art, and ironically, innovation in art will stall because Ai cannot innovate.

And it’s not being used as a tool, you yourself said that you’ll use it instead of paying an artist. As I said, there’s already a ton of Ai books being churned out, flooding the market. Are you fine with yourself being replaced by Ai because it’s cheaper?

• ___@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 days ago

I think at the point AI can “replace” artists, the individual becomes the artist. A much less exclusionary field if you don’t have the drawing ability. It becomes just another advanced paint brush.

The true creatives will still find a way to stick out. The definition of “art” will change.

• LainTrain@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 days ago

the only ones left are the corporations making money,

So at worst by your logic there is no difference. I have no preference for artist capitalists over chipmaking capitalists.

• Catoblepas@lemmy.blahaj.zone
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        7 days ago

What means of production do you think artists hold?? It’s absolutely deranged to put artists (who 99 times out of 100 are not wealthy) and CEOs in the same class.