In a post-scarcity solarpunk future, I could imagine some reasonable uses, but that’s not the world we’re living in yet.

AI art has already poisoned the creative environment. I commissioned an artist for my latest solarpunk novel, and they used AI without telling me. I had to scrap that illustration. Then the next person I tried to hire claimed they could do the work without AI but in fact they could not.

All that is to say, fuck generative AI and fuck capitalism!

• SleezyDizasta@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    24 days ago

But that’s not what these generative AIs do. They use actual content for training, but all generations are unique… Just like actual art

• atrielienz@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      22 days ago

If you go to college for art you are actively required to use specific licensed learning materials to learn from. They don’t just go get random training material off the web and go “draw like this but make it your own”. The same principles apply. The AI has no filters. It has no way of determining what is copyright infringement and what isn’t. It can’t decide what is fair use and what isn’t.

• SleezyDizasta@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        21 days ago

But that’s specific to universities as institutions, not art as a concept. There are plenty of artists without formal education that got inspiration from the things we saw. We could have a discussion about how internet scrapers get their data, however that’s a different conversation. AI art isn’t stealing content, it’s using existing content (in albeit questionable ways) to generate new and unique content.

• atrielienz@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          18 days ago

The difference between generative AI and human created works is that a human can create something with little to no input whatsoever from someone or something else. Blind/deaf people have created things. The AI cannot create something without its training data and the people who created that data didn’t authorise it’s use. They get no credit or monitary or otherwise re-imbursement or compensation for the use of their IP. But that IP is being used to make money. How do you not see that as a violation?

Art as a concept is agreed to be only created by human input. We aren’t talking about inspiration here because that’s not what this is. Because the AI isn’t being inspired. Because it can’t create anything at all without the training data. It would literally be nothing without it. It would generate nothing without it. You as a human being can create things without input. You don’t need to see the work of other artists in order to create something. Therefore, you hone skills using the input of others but you as a person could always put pen to paper or paint to cave wall and simply make something. The AI can’t. Therefore the claim that it is creating is wrong.