• Brokkr@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 days ago

I think some people set speed run records on the steam deck. Obviously, the number of pixels is lower and the processor isn’t as powerful as a desktop, so a megafactory might not work well, but should be fine for tinkering with a design.

• Mango@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 days ago

Nice! I’ll consider getting it. I just bought a shitton of games though, so maybe later.

• Brokkr@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 days ago

Yeah, good idea. This game take up a lot of time because it is amazing and there’s soooo much to do.

If you like the dopamine hit from making something better, or fixing problems with a system, then you’ll love this game.

I think there may also be a demo, but I don’t know if that works on the steam deck. That’s totally worth checking out, but set aside 4-8 hours for the first time you play it and I recommend setting an alarm to remind yourself to eat.

• Mango@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            7 days ago

Oh I already know it’s my kind of game. I’m all about stuff like Minecraft Redstone, satisfactory, beltmatic, industry, etc…

• Teepo@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 days ago

I played a whole run of the base game without mods on my Steam Deck in handheld mode and found it just fine. It uses the extra buttons on the back quite effectively.

• deepfriedchril @lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 days ago

Imo it’s a little too cumbersome to comfortably play on the deck. Totally possible and it does work thanks to community controller presets but I feel limited playing on the deck compared to when I play on mouse and keyboard and a full size monitor.

• Mango@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 days ago

Bro I use mouse and keyboard. I’m just concerned about resolution and screen size. I’m likely gonna be getting a portable monitor to go with it.

• Donjuanme@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          6 days ago

It’s worked perfectly for me, 3k logistics bots in my network and rocket launched. I’ve never made a “mega factory” and I don’t use trains, but I’d bet trains work just fine.

• Mango@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            6 days ago

I don’t really know what a mega factory is, but I’m guessing it eats some CPU.

• Tlaloc_Temporal@lemmy.ca
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              6 days ago

Megafactories are those games where instead of launching one expensive rocket, you launch one or more per minute. They’re usually at least 5 times larger than an endgame factory, and usually stop growing when the FPS drops below 30.

• Donjuanme@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                6 days ago

I really like that definition, 1 rocket per minute=mega factory. I was impressed when I was doing 2 per hour (though it was a bit cheesed by having some extra ingredients buffered before the first rocket

• Tlaloc_Temporal@lemmy.ca
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  6 days ago

I think the more proper definition is 1kspm, so not only 1 rocket per minute, but also all the other sciences to match it.

I ended up completely rebuilding my base once I unlocked trains. Hexes everywhere, each one a cell that peoduced one thing, and then I just built enough to support 500smp IIRC. My first rocket launch was from a 500smp factory with no logistics. It took me 80 hours to do that though. XD