TIL, Shaxs’ full name, according to the comic Star Trek: Day of Blood #1, is Shaxs Drazon. Also, Mr. Torgue from Borderlands is totally Shaxs’ brother from another mother.

• IninewCrow@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 days ago

Why don’t they just build a ship with like … 20 warp cores

Whenever there is a serious problem, just eject a warp core, again and again and again

Or when Shaxs or officers like him are just getting impatient and bored after two weeks of nothing happening, just let them eject a warp core for fun.

• IninewCrow@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 days ago

It always bugged me how in a lot of these scenarios … eventually everyone figures out that you can weaponize an entire ship … or weaponize the most powerful part of the ship

The biggest example of that was in Star Wars: The Last Jedi … where the rebels turn one of the ships around, aim it at the larger Empire’s Capital Ship, turn on the hyperdrive and suicide crash it into the enemy. Why didn’t the rebels after that point just build a bunch of cheap ships with hyperdrives and kamikaze them into the largest ships and even into the Death Star?

Same thing always bugged me about Warp Cores in Star Trek … why not just build an engine to drive a small warp core, aim it an enemy, send it at warp speed and cut a hole right through everything and detonate it to blow up an entire fleet of enemy ships?

Thanks for listening to my TED talk.

• Glytch@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          6 days ago

why not just build an engine to drive a small warp core, aim it an enemy, send it at warp speed and cut a hole right through everything and detonate it to blow up an entire fleet of enemy ships?

I think there have been a few instances of warp-capable strategic missiles in Star Trek, an ep of Voyager (I think) springs to mind where there was a swarm of sentient planet-killer missiles left over from a war that was long over. So some species have done it.

• Jesus_666@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          6 days ago

Probably because that’s getting dangerously close to a subspace weapon, which gives just about everyone in the galaxy the willies.

Going too fast on an older warp drive can already degrade subspace and make warp travel harder for everyone. Now imagine a ship made to run at full warp into another ship at full warp and then both explode. That sounds like a fast way of pissing off your neighbors.