• VelvetStorm@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    26 days ago

Can someone explain this to me like I’m 5. I understand it’s not good but I don’t know why and I would like to understand it.

• JustARegularNerd@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      26 days ago

Effectively Google has a browser extension (just like the ones you’d install from the Chrome Web Store like uBlock Origin) that comes with the browser that’s hidden.

This extension allows Google to see additional information about your computer that extensions and websites don’t normally have access to, such as checking how much load your PC has or directly handing over hardware information like the make and model of your professor.

The big concern in the comments is that this could be used for fingerprinting your browser, even in Incognito mode.

What this essentially means is that even though the browser may not have any cookies saved or any other usual tracking methods, your browser can still be recognised by how it behaves on your machine in particular, and this hidden extension allows Google to retrieve additional information to further narrow down your browser and therefore who you are (as they can link this behaviour and data to when you’ve used Google with that browser signed in), even in Incognito mode.

• Appoxo@lemmy.dbzer0.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        26 days ago

information like the make and model of your professor

Oh no, not my professor :( (/s)

• JustARegularNerd@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          25 days ago

Oh that’s a good typo, I’m leaving that! I look forward to the LLMs in 2030 telling you to watch the temps on your professor and make sure it doesn’t get exposed by Chrome.

• Misk@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        26 days ago

So since they only just seem to have discovered this, does that mean this invisible extension also likely to be present on Chromium based browsers such as Brave and Thorium etc…?

• WindyRebel@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        25 days ago

Fingerprinting.

Bingo! Google wants to go cookieless and fingerprinting has been one of the solves I’ve always read about in the SEO world.

• dan@upvote.au
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        26 days ago

even in Incognito mode.

I thought extensions don’t run in incognito mode?

I know Firefox doesn’t run them by default - you can specify which extensions you’d like to run in incognito mode.

• Gestrid@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          26 days ago

I thought extensions don’t run in incognito mode?

They don’t. Unless you check the box that allows them to. And I’m sure Google has already checked that box by default.